Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with ignition problem on my heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with ignition problem on my heater

I have a Jandy legacy natural gas heater that is giving me an ignition fault and will not light. I have followed this problem flow chart from this link (click on downloads tab, and it's on the bottom of the page under H0299500.pdf) and it seems I am not getting voltage between ground and where the brown wire connects to the gas valve (this is on page 41 of the pdf). I followed the troubleshooting parts up to the Gas Valve Voltage (10.4.3.6) and everything prior to this is OK.

So my thinking id it's either the ignition control module or the circuit board that it hooks up to. Is there a way to tell which of these might be the problem?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with ignition problem on my heater

Hey Airbus guy,

Just a couple of thoughts before you replace a module or a circuit board, you've backwashed recently so that you have best possible water pressure & flow into the heater, right? And, my heater mechanic tells me that since the heater's generally working with just millivolts DC, good clean electrical connections are essential.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ya I checked the flow or pressure module and it's detecting flow OK, (measured with voltmeter and verified by turning pump off and it then gives a low flow error). I also pulled wire connectors for various parts and they all seem good (also got a good 65 ohm reading across the hot plate ignitor, so it should be good).

It's funny, worked fine a few weeks ago, and now nothing....
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

Heaters are my shortcoming. I've been able to do what you've done - read the manual, check for water pressure & flow, make sure the connections are OK, make sure the gas is on, and make sure the pilot is lit* (mine has a standing pilot). Then if it still doesn't work, I've got to call in the heater mechanic.

Maybe a heater expert will come along and offer some suggestions.

Cheers!

*make sure the pilot is lit - I'm an old C-141 guy. Having the pilot lit is good for heaters, bad for airplanes, OK for layovers....
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

When you try to fire up the heater, does the Fenwal ignition module's light blink a series of on and off's?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303
    When you try to fire up the heater, does the Fenwal ignition module's light blink a series of on and off's?
    No the red LED does not light up at all. I pulled the hot plate ignitor and it does glow red, but no voltage is coming from the module to the gas valve.