Problem with DE Blowing through Sand Filter

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
Well this is a new one for the group...

(I revised this subject to reflect what I now think is a real problem with DE blowing through the Sand (last post has those details)

My water is perfectly clear, except at night in the LED I see floaties...

So the decision to ADD DE to make it perfect happened.

PROBLEM IS - I have this DANG Pre-Filter that my PB insisted works...and guess what it does...it seems that ALL the DE (3 cups) ended up in the Pre-Filter and none in the sand as the pressure never moved.

Now I did this on high speed, as that is what I was told.

Anybody have any new techniques that might work ? Good news is this dang Pre-Filter ROCKS - but I guess it is not catching the floaties, just the FINE Particles which I guess is what DE is.

[attachment=0:3r3k6lka]mc16.jpg[/attachment:3r3k6lka]

Attachments

• mc16.jpg
    mc16.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 162
Re: New Challenge Adding DE to Sand Filter

Can you open up the top of the sand filter and add it directly to the sand chamber?

Never tried it but it sounds like it would work.

FYI. Not a sand filter expert.

3 cups sounds like a lot. 1 cup is enough to raise mine 1psi, and when I do that it will very rapidly take the filter to capacity as it clears the water.

I've seen floaties in properly filtered pools with DE filters. It is most likely impossible to get it all out. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say there's no way you'll get the water perfectly clear within the light's beam at night.

RobbieH said:
3 cups sounds like a lot. 1 cup is enough to raise mine 1psi, and when I do that it will very rapidly take the filter to capacity as it clears the water.

I've seen floaties in properly filtered pools with DE filters. It is most likely impossible to get it all out. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say there's no way you'll get the water perfectly clear within the light's beam at night.

Yeah I don't expect perfect, but I just saw a few too many floaties and was hoping DE would help. There has got to be a easy way....like mentioned above I will post pics later if that helps.

Those LEDs make a very sharp, focused beam. I've seen many post about the floaties, and even with DE filters they are not getting rid of all of them.

Attached are a few pics....

Now I am concerned I really got DE back into the pool vs. ALL in the MC ? As my pressure never climbed.

This first picture is a TON of debris from a HUGE storm, the white is the DE I am thinking of course...

[attachment=2:2pziyw23]DE blow back.jpg[/attachment:2pziyw23]
[attachment=1:2pziyw23]Pump.jpg[/attachment:2pziyw23]
[attachment=0:2pziyw23]Pump 1.jpg[/attachment:2pziyw23]

Attachments

• DE blow back.jpg
    DE blow back.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Pump 1.jpg
    Pump 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 147

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Anybody want to buy 25 lbs of DE cheap :-(

On a serious note...any way to get DE in this setup ?

What if I add DE on LOW SPEED, in theory that would make the Multi-Cyclone less effective perhaps. Still not sure why I am getting a bit of DE blow by though ? Any ideas ?

Umm, I was thinking. Are those unions on the last leg out of the cyclone? If so, you could disconnect there or cut in one. You could then use a flex funnel like you would for oil changes. Stick the tip in the MP valve, and pour some DE slurry into it that way. You'd have to drain a little water out of the SF first, but I bet it would work. I sure don't think it would be worth taking the MP off the filter body though.

Wait, those are unions. Just take out the cyclone, and cut in a straight run in it's place. Replace cyclone as you wish. Still a lot of hassle for the reward...but that would work.

Quick Update (I will work on how to get DE in the filter)

I still have the problem of SOME of the DE blowing back into the pool. I vacuumed up on LOW SPEED all the DE that settled to the bottom. 2 hours later there it is again ? Like the DE is passing right through the sand ?

My filter is brand new (well 1 month)

Any idea where to start ?

techguy said:
Sand filters get better at trapping debris as they get dirty but I would think it should catch DE even clean.

Yep I agree...

So how do I figure out what is going on...is the next step to look for channeled sand ?

Attached are the details of my filter innards...

[attachment=0:32cxzx8o]Filter.jpg[/attachment:32cxzx8o]

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 106
The reason I mentioned it is that we've had reports of problems with alternate media in sand filters. They seem to either work well or not at all. With a new install you shouldn't be having any problems. Especially not channeling of the media. If DE will go through it, there's definitely something wrong with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.