Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem with DE Blowing through Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with DE Blowing through Sand Filter

Well this is a new one for the group...

(I revised this subject to reflect what I now think is a real problem with DE blowing through the Sand (last post has those details)

My water is perfectly clear, except at night in the LED I see floaties...

So the decision to ADD DE to make it perfect happened.

PROBLEM IS - I have this DANG Pre-Filter that my PB insisted works...and guess what it does...it seems that ALL the DE (3 cups) ended up in the Pre-Filter and none in the sand as the pressure never moved.

Now I did this on high speed, as that is what I was told.

Anybody have any new techniques that might work ? Good news is this dang Pre-Filter ROCKS - but I guess it is not catching the floaties, just the FINE Particles which I guess is what DE is.

[attachment=0:3r3k6lka]mc16.jpg[/attachment:3r3k6lka]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Challenge Adding DE to Sand Filter

Can you open up the top of the sand filter and add it directly to the sand chamber?

Never tried it but it sounds like it would work.

FYI. Not a sand filter expert.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    Can you open up the top of the sand filter and add it directly to the sand chamber?

Never tried it but it sounds like it would work.

FYI. Not a sand filter expert.
    Boy not easily for sure...at least I don't see how it would be easy.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you not have any unions or any other fitting that allow you to get into your filter?

Photos of your equipment pad might help us help you.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

3 cups sounds like a lot. 1 cup is enough to raise mine 1psi, and when I do that it will very rapidly take the filter to capacity as it clears the water.

I've seen floaties in properly filtered pools with DE filters. It is most likely impossible to get it all out. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say there's no way you'll get the water perfectly clear within the light's beam at night.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you not have any unions or any other fitting that allow you to get into your filter?

Photos of your equipment pad might help us help you.
    Mmmmm, I will take a few pics later this afternoon.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    3 cups sounds like a lot. 1 cup is enough to raise mine 1psi, and when I do that it will very rapidly take the filter to capacity as it clears the water.

I've seen floaties in properly filtered pools with DE filters. It is most likely impossible to get it all out. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say there's no way you'll get the water perfectly clear within the light's beam at night.
    Yeah I don't expect perfect, but I just saw a few too many floaties and was hoping DE would help. There has got to be a easy way....like mentioned above I will post pics later if that helps.

8. Back To Top    #8

Those LEDs make a very sharp, focused beam. I've seen many post about the floaties, and even with DE filters they are not getting rid of all of them.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Attached are a few pics....

Now I am concerned I really got DE back into the pool vs. ALL in the MC ? As my pressure never climbed.

This first picture is a TON of debris from a HUGE storm, the white is the DE I am thinking of course...

[attachment=2:2pziyw23]DE blow back.jpg[/attachment:2pziyw23]
    [attachment=1:2pziyw23]Pump.jpg[/attachment:2pziyw23]
    [attachment=0:2pziyw23]Pump 1.jpg[/attachment:2pziyw23]

10. Back To Top    #10

And the last pic....
    [attachment=0:3lher77z]Pump 2.jpg[/attachment:3lher77z]

11. Back To Top    #11

DE helps, but you won't likely see what you want just from DE to a SF. Not for the effort it will take with your set up I don't think.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Anybody want to buy 25 lbs of DE cheap

On a serious note...any way to get DE in this setup ?

What if I add DE on LOW SPEED, in theory that would make the Multi-Cyclone less effective perhaps. Still not sure why I am getting a bit of DE blow by though ? Any ideas ?

13. Back To Top    #13

Umm, I was thinking. Are those unions on the last leg out of the cyclone? If so, you could disconnect there or cut in one. You could then use a flex funnel like you would for oil changes. Stick the tip in the MP valve, and pour some DE slurry into it that way. You'd have to drain a little water out of the SF first, but I bet it would work. I sure don't think it would be worth taking the MP off the filter body though.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

Wait, those are unions. Just take out the cyclone, and cut in a straight run in it's place. Replace cyclone as you wish. Still a lot of hassle for the reward...but that would work.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

15. Back To Top    #15

Quick Update (I will work on how to get DE in the filter)

I still have the problem of SOME of the DE blowing back into the pool. I vacuumed up on LOW SPEED all the DE that settled to the bottom. 2 hours later there it is again ? Like the DE is passing right through the sand ?

My filter is brand new (well 1 month)

Any idea where to start ?

16. Back To Top    #16

Sand filters get better at trapping debris as they get dirty but I would think it should catch DE even clean.
    -- Guy --

17. Back To Top    #17

Sand filters get better at trapping debris as they get dirty but I would think it should catch DE even clean.
    Yep I agree...

So how do I figure out what is going on...is the next step to look for channeled sand ?

Attached are the details of my filter innards...

[attachment=0:32cxzx8o]Filter.jpg[/attachment:32cxzx8o]

18. Back To Top    #18

Re: Problem with DE Blowing through Sand Filter

Isn't this a new filter installation?

You also state that you have glass bead media. Is that true?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes brand new and yes have the glass bead media.

Hoping that is not the problem...but I guess I will be a good test study for once and all to know if this stuff is GOOD or ****.

My PB just did it, without giving me any option.

20. Back To Top    #20

The reason I mentioned it is that we've had reports of problems with alternate media in sand filters. They seem to either work well or not at all. With a new install you shouldn't be having any problems. Especially not channeling of the media. If DE will go through it, there's definitely something wrong with it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast