Hayward Motor Replacement

Jul 12, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I've got a Hayward RS 2000 pump with an AO Smith single speed, round flanged motor. Unfortunately, the motor was overheating, and when I opened it up, it seemed like the rear bearing was welded to the shaft, it was so stuck. Even using a set of bearing pullers, I just couldn't get the thing removed, and I think I did some damage to the threaded end of the motor while I was working on it, so I'm not sure the centrifugal switch will screw back in. So I'm looking for a new motor. Should I be looking at a direct HP replacement, or should I think about downgrading to a 1 HP?

I close pool early Sept and Open at very beginning of June living in NJ. Average electric bill is $1,200 per year and in summer time, the bill spikes almost x2 of winter time.. I would dif look into two speed motor if I have pool open for longer time.

Why do you need the pool open longer to justify a 2-speed? You would still be saving money running on low while the pool is open.

Also we recommend closing after the water is below 60 degrees and opening before it gets above 60 degrees ... it is not related to specific dates. If you want to discuss further, please start your own thread.

jblizzle said:
Modd said:
Why downgrade?
To save money on the motor and electricity if you do not have the need for the higher flow rates. Of course you save even more money on electricity by running on low speed of a 2-speed motor.

Okay, if I drop in a two-speed, is it a straight one-to-one replacement? I won't need to change the impellers? I've got an Aqua Logic PS-4, so hooking it up to my current equipment won't be that difficult, I just wasn't sure what other changes I'd need to make if I went with a two-speed. Since the pool is open from April through October, a two-speed does offer some savings.

If the max SF*HP is the same for the new pump as your current one. All you will need is the motor and a new shaft seal (or get the full go-kit and replace all the seals).

You will also need to add another wire running from the PS-4 to the motor (Common (line 1), High, Low, Ground) and will need to have a free relay to set as the Low speed relay.

If you decided to go with a smaller motor, you will just need to also get a smaller impeller (which is only like $20 I think).

You may not want to go smaller if you are running your spa jets off of that pump. Hard to find much info on the RS2000, but as far as I can tell the it is basically the 2 hp super II full rated which is the same as the 2.5 hp super II up-rated. If that is right, the direct replacement 2-speed motor would be the a.o. smith B2979. You could post the model number of the motor or a pic of the motor label to cross reference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The model number of the motor I've got right now is an A.O. Smith k48k2n104. I'm pretty sure the pump and motor were bought and installed by Leslies, but unfortunately, they told me that no Leslies in town has the equivalent 2-speed, so it would take 5-10 days to be delivered. So, if I wanted to get everything put back together by this weekend, I'd either have to get a single speed or shell out $1,300 for a variable speed.

Thinking about this more, how long has that motor been installed on that pump? If it was the wrong motor for that impeller (if it is the original RS2000 impeller, the motor would be too small), that would cause overheating and dramatically shorten the life of the motor.

To close out my original question, I made a last-ditch attempt to remove the bearing. It took an air-powered impact wrench turning the bearing puller, but I was able to finally get it off. No way I could have done it by hand. Had to tap new threads for the centrifugal switch, but that worked as well. Reassembled the motor, and after a couple of false starts with the pump (reversed the handle, causing leaks. Didn't put the pump seal in the slot, causing leaks), it seems to be running quietly and smoothly, with no evidence of overheating. Dumped 20 ppm of chlorine in last night, and it turned from green to blue this morning. Brought it back up to shock level this morning. With any luck, it will be bragworthy again in the next day or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.