Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Motor Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Motor Replacement

I've got a Hayward RS 2000 pump with an AO Smith single speed, round flanged motor. Unfortunately, the motor was overheating, and when I opened it up, it seemed like the rear bearing was welded to the shaft, it was so stuck. Even using a set of bearing pullers, I just couldn't get the thing removed, and I think I did some damage to the threaded end of the motor while I was working on it, so I'm not sure the centrifugal switch will screw back in. So I'm looking for a new motor. Should I be looking at a direct HP replacement, or should I think about downgrading to a 1 HP?
    33k in-ground plaster pool and spa / Goldline T-15 SWG w/ Aqualogic controller / RS2000 Hayward pump / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Motor Replacement

If you downgrade the motor sfhp you'll have to down size the impeller. If you don't want to do that you should match the SF*HP & frame of the motor you have now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Why downgrade?
    16X32 IG, 19K gal, 1.5 HP Hayward super pump, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Chlorinator, Polaris 360 Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Modd
    Why downgrade?
    To save money on the motor and electricity if you do not have the need for the higher flow rates. Of course you save even more money on electricity by running on low speed of a 2-speed motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I close pool early Sept and Open at very beginning of June living in NJ. Average electric bill is $1,200 per year and in summer time, the bill spikes almost x2 of winter time.. I would dif look into two speed motor if I have pool open for longer time.
    16X32 IG, 19K gal, 1.5 HP Hayward super pump, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Chlorinator, Polaris 360 Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Why do you need the pool open longer to justify a 2-speed? You would still be saving money running on low while the pool is open.

Also we recommend closing after the water is below 60 degrees and opening before it gets above 60 degrees ... it is not related to specific dates. If you want to discuss further, please start your own thread.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by Modd
    Why downgrade?
    To save money on the motor and electricity if you do not have the need for the higher flow rates. Of course you save even more money on electricity by running on low speed of a 2-speed motor.
    Okay, if I drop in a two-speed, is it a straight one-to-one replacement? I won't need to change the impellers? I've got an Aqua Logic PS-4, so hooking it up to my current equipment won't be that difficult, I just wasn't sure what other changes I'd need to make if I went with a two-speed. Since the pool is open from April through October, a two-speed does offer some savings.
    33k in-ground plaster pool and spa / Goldline T-15 SWG w/ Aqualogic controller / RS2000 Hayward pump / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter

8. Back To Top    #8

If the max SF*HP is the same for the new pump as your current one. All you will need is the motor and a new shaft seal (or get the full go-kit and replace all the seals).

You will also need to add another wire running from the PS-4 to the motor (Common (line 1), High, Low, Ground) and will need to have a free relay to set as the Low speed relay.

If you decided to go with a smaller motor, you will just need to also get a smaller impeller (which is only like $20 I think).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

You may not want to go smaller if you are running your spa jets off of that pump. Hard to find much info on the RS2000, but as far as I can tell the it is basically the 2 hp super II full rated which is the same as the 2.5 hp super II up-rated. If that is right, the direct replacement 2-speed motor would be the a.o. smith B2979. You could post the model number of the motor or a pic of the motor label to cross reference.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

The RS is a rebrand for Leslies ... same as the Super II as far as I can tell as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

The model number of the motor I've got right now is an A.O. Smith k48k2n104. I'm pretty sure the pump and motor were bought and installed by Leslies, but unfortunately, they told me that no Leslies in town has the equivalent 2-speed, so it would take 5-10 days to be delivered. So, if I wanted to get everything put back together by this weekend, I'd either have to get a single speed or shell out $1,300 for a variable speed.

12. Back To Top    #12

I would order a 2-speed and wait for it.

Just add bleach and brush to keep some chlorine in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

That motor model you listed is a 3/4 full rated, obviously much smaller than a 2hp full rated. Are you sure on the motor model number and the pump model number?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thinking about this more, how long has that motor been installed on that pump? If it was the wrong motor for that impeller (if it is the original RS2000 impeller, the motor would be too small), that would cause overheating and dramatically shorten the life of the motor.

15. Back To Top    #15

May want to pull the impeller and check that part number to see what you are actually running.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry about that. It's actually the k48n2n104, which is a 2 HP full rated motor.

17. Back To Top    #17

Then the B2979 is the right 2-speed motor. Here is the cheapest I found: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Centu...FY9AMgodsVcA6Q

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I would order a 2-speed and wait for it.

Just add bleach and brush to keep some chlorine in the water.
    Kind of a big pool to try and circulate the chlorine with just a brush. Sooo....

a-shocking I will go, a-shocking I will go. Hi ho, the bleach will flow, a-shocking I will go!

19. Back To Top    #19

To close out my original question, I made a last-ditch attempt to remove the bearing. It took an air-powered impact wrench turning the bearing puller, but I was able to finally get it off. No way I could have done it by hand. Had to tap new threads for the centrifugal switch, but that worked as well. Reassembled the motor, and after a couple of false starts with the pump (reversed the handle, causing leaks. Didn't put the pump seal in the slot, causing leaks), it seems to be running quietly and smoothly, with no evidence of overheating. Dumped 20 ppm of chlorine in last night, and it turned from green to blue this morning. Brought it back up to shock level this morning. With any luck, it will be bragworthy again in the next day or so.