Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterizing chemicals?

1. Back To Top    #1

Winterizing chemicals?

SE Pennsylvania, 25kgal in-ground salt pool with mesh cover: I'm starting to get the catalogs with winterizing chemical specials. Most of them don't even say what is in the kits. Others say they include non-chlorine shock and "other chemicals to prevent algae, and control stain and scale."

I don't have any metal fixtures other than the rim of a single 20-year-old underwater light, and I guess the stainless threads on return line plugs I'll be putting in. So I don't even know if I'm susceptible to stain or scale.

Do I need anything other than an aglaecide? And which algaecides are best for winterizing?

Are any kits a good idea, or are they all gimmicky?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winterizing chemicals?

Mostly gimmicky. Take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...in_ground_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I disagree. Not just mostly gimmicky. All gimmicky.

BBB chemicals don't change over the winter, just the targets.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...in_ground_pool
    Yeah, I read that, which is why I'm wondering if I should do anything more than circulate Polyquat.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dbooksta
    ...And which algaecides are best for winterizing?
    Great time to be asking this question because Amazon has the good stuff for the cheapest price I have seen this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030B ... UTF8&psc=1

I just bought some for closing this year and next as well. Not sure what the shelf life is or I might have bought more.

Regards,

Jay
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by griffths
    ...And which algaecides are best for winterizing?
    Great time to be asking this question because Amazon has the good stuff for the cheapest price I have seen this year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030B ... UTF8&psc=1

I just bought some for closing this year and next as well. Not sure what the shelf life is or I might have bought more.

Regards,

Jay
    So this is the right stuff ? Are we sure ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

The KemTek is the correct stuff according to several ChemGeek postings and the label in the Amazon image.

I am showing $13.33 delivered price for Prime Members.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    The KemTek is the correct stuff according to several ChemGeek postings and the label in the Amazon image.

I am showing $13.33 delivered price for Prime Members.
    Awesome...now I just gotta figure out how much I need.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...in_ground_pool
    Yeah, I read that, which is why I'm wondering if I should do anything more than circulate Polyquat.
    Follow that article, if you have any other questions post them here. By the way, I consider even the use of polyquat60 as optional and have not used is when winterizing my pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

I did the same as linen. Shock level only for me.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll piggyback on this one.

If I'm using the BBB method, do I still need to get Anti-freeze for the pipes? If yes, can you recommend a particular brand or type? I'll likely order through Amazon unless the vendors on this site stock those items.

Anything else I need to stock besides bleach/chlorine for the closing? Thanks!
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10