Time To Replace My Hayward T Cell 15- Recomendations?

Nov 29, 2011
Magnolia Texas
My Hayward T-Cell 15 is now 4 years old and starting to fail. Specifically, I have to "trick" the cell every 4-5 days by going into the diagnostic mode on my Aqualogic panel and "resetting" the salt ppm reading to a higher count. Gradually, over the next few days it will continue to read lower and lower until I get a low salt warning. My actual salt level in the pool is 3500 ppm.

I would appreciate any long feedback that anyone may have regarding alternate SWG's such as CompUPool, Clear Blue Aqua, T-Cell 15 Deluxe Optimum, Titanium Power Cell, Chlorinator Pro or others. Another option is having the cell "rebuilt". There is a vendor on ebay that does this. Most of these options run between $300-$350 versus a new Hayard cell which is much more than that.

Any feedback on how it has or is working for you is much appreciated as I'm not sure I can limp my current cell along until it get cold.

The new hayward cells are not all that expensive if you shop around online...I just checked the google shopping page and there are some vendors selling them at around $400. I'd stick with getting a new cell rather than rebuilding it or replacing the system, especially since you have Hayward automation already.

There are a few members that I think did the rebuild (there is a thread somewhere) although not long enough ago to have feedback ... seems like a decent deal. And others are trying the Titanium company.

WARNING ... strictly experimental following here:
Are you able to change the cell type in the Aqualogic or is it older and only works with the T-15?
I found on mine that if I had the T-15 install and set the controller to T-9, it made the salt read higher. This made me wonder if we might be able to trick the unit into "working" longer as the cell was going bad. By changing the cell size, it thinks the salt is high and in range and should keep generating. BUT, I am not sure if the actual chlorine production would be less as well. ALSO, I am not sure if this would have any detrimental affect in the control unit, although I don't think it should.

I just replaced by original AquaRite T-15 with a Titanium T-15. I think the Titanium units are compupool but built to spec? I do know the warranty is better (full 2 year replacement).

I did have to replace my board within about a month of putting in the new cell, it was a 2004 board - did try the limiter replacement but it didn't work. So cost wise, not sure if it made a difference (a new Hayward/Aquarite cell may have caused the same problem...).

Anyway, so far I'm happy with the cell. It clearly puts out CL, seems to work fine with the AquaRite electronics (at least after the board replacement) and having the clear plastic so you can see the CL bubbles right in the cell is pretty cool. About $100 bucks cheaper too. My old cell lasted 7 seasons, hopefully this one will go that long, we'll see.

I found a NIB Hayward t15 on craigslist for 300. I had the seller come out to our home and install it to confirm it worked. He was moving to a home w/o a pool. Works perfectly and saved some money. I had the low salt reading and low salt/check cell lights. Maybe worth checking out CL too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.