What Manual Vacuum to Buy

Aug 19, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
I have a vacuum in my pool; I think it is a Pentair, an old one at that. It does a good enough job keeping the pool floor clean in spite of the three big oak trees that tower over my pool constantly dropping leaves, small twigs and sometimes and acorn or two. However, it does not run over into the spa, I didn't expect it too either. So my question for you guys is what I should use to vacuum the spa. I did a quick look on available products and saw some that can attach to the strainer as well as some battery operated ones. I would like to get something that will mostly be used in the spa but can also be used in the pool when "Herb" leaves some leaves here and there or do a quick vacuum job to pick up debris that has fallen after the vacuum has shutoff.

I have one of these I use for Santa Ana wind days, which seems to strip the trees of leaves and put them all in the pool. I got mine at Home Depot for a couple dollars less that the Leslies price. These work with your garden hose. You connect the garden hose up to it, put it under water, and turn on the hose full blast. Jets on the vacuum shoot water up into the bag, creating a current that pulls leaves and other light objects off the bottom and into the bag (rocks just stay where they were). Mine works fine in the corners, but I think it would depend on your hose water pressure and how heavy the leaves are. One nice feature is, since it is not connected to the pump, you can move it directly from the pool to the spa and not worry about getting air in your pump.

For normal vacuuming I use one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pool-Shop-Flexible-Vacuum-Head-Metal-Handle-67210/100201401
connected to the port where "Wall-E", our Arnson Navigator pool sweep, is usually attached.

Mike

Thanks Robbie, I purchased on of these and it does really well picking up leaves. The only issue I have with it is the bag keeps falling off; the directions for use really stink. I went to an outdoor store and purchased another, better, clip for the cord and it works a lot better. It sucks trying to pick up a mesh back full of wet leaves under six feet of 40 degree water.

Next I have to get a vacuum that will pick up DE. Apparently I have a hole in my filter and the bottom of my pool is now covered with DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.