Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool brush for black algae

1. Back To Top    #1

pool brush for black algae

I have an above ground pool but my regular pool brush doesn't work. Anything else I can use? I'm not even sure yet if it is black algae or just staining yet but just in case I thought I would ask.
    21ft round Doughboy AG, 9,300 gallons
    22 inch ClearWater Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Power Flo Matrix Pump
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool brush for black algae

I use a blue "soft scrub" sponge on my liner.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

What is a blue "soft scrub" sponge? Is it for pools or just a regular sponge you buy at like a grocery store. lol
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Like these. I get a big pack at Costco and we use them in the kitchen... I know I have one under my step, on the edge of my pool. I keep it there so when I am in the pool, I can do a quick scrub of my ladder. It dries out there but is not sitting in the sun.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

You can scrape off black algae with a fingernail. If you can catch it, it will turn green when you mash it. Sometimes you'll see green on the pool when you scrape at it, too. It's kind of soft and waxy, it won't be like a stain when you scratch at it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess I should mention, I use a standard nylon pool bush also for the larger sections of the wall but for my ladder and it's black spots, I use the sponge. I also use the sponge on the water line/fake tile area. I scrub a lap around the pool and inside the skimmer body with the sponge. I like to do it each weekend but when I forget...it reminds me (junk builds up to where I can see it).
    -- Guy --

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome, thanks! The picture answered it all, lol! I will do the fingernail test tonight!
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit