When to run the pump

Sep 2, 2008
So ... I heard (basically) that the pump needs to run (roughly) the same number of hours the sunlight is out. Maybe a little bit less. But then I read on here that it could just be a few hours a day. Which is it... well, I'm curious your thought based on this situation.

I like Oscar (our cleaner) to run mid-afternoon so the pool is crystal clear when I come home from work. He's on for a few hours, I think. But the pump is currently running from roughly 9a to 7p. I like the pump running in the evening because I like to see the water move. And its convenient to have it run from 5 - 10p because if I add chemicals in the evening then they are evenly distributed for use throughout the pool over night. So what schedule are you guys running to get the cleaner working, daytime runtime and chemicals added?

Is it okay to run it only from 3p to 10p and not have the water moving during the hottest time of the day when the pool is getting the most sunlight? Should I try running two schedules?

There is an article in Pool School on hour to determine run time. Basically, run long enough to keep the water clean. Does not really matter when. Split run times have minor advantages.

So it makes no difference if its during the day or not? I like seeing the water movement in the evening ... so I'd rather it run when I'm home or esp when I plan to be adding chemicals. Makes me feel better I don't have to run as often ... but I guess I'm polling for other people's runtime? Anyone else running from about 4-9p-ish?

Aside from running it when you are adding chemicals to the pool and for about 30-60 minutes afterward, another consideration is if you want to cool the water temperature. If you have water features such as a waterfall or fountains, you will get more of a cooling effect if you run the pump at night or in the early morning. The cooling effect is more dramatic the lower the humidity is.

If keeping the water clean is your primary objective, you should be able to reduce your pump run time considerably, especially if your pump is a single-speed. Generally speaking I run my pump about an hour a day and my water is crystal clear. Of course, I make allowances for events like pool parties or storms.

Reactions: Hairdoer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.