Need advice on initial treatment

Jun 25, 2013
So I posted yesterday showing the pool filling with water. I had hoped to have the plumbing & filter set by this evening but just found out I will be away for a few days. So the question is- what can I put in the water tonight that will keep away algae, etc? I get REAL nervous since it's stagnant water as of this morning (pool full to bottom of return inlet).

Thanks in advance!

Bleach.
You can stir with a pool brush or similar as often as you are willing. It looks like you've been reading here. Use the Pool Caculator for a precise dose. If I were waiting on equipment, that is what I would do along with adding some CYA with the sock method. Then keep the pool stirred. If someone can't help you, you could float some Tabs of Di-Chlor or Tri-Chlor. Just to start they would be fine.

If you won't have the equipment hooked up you can get a sump pump and just drop it in and let it run. If you don't have any CYA in the water you can get a floater with some tablets in it and let it add a little FC to the water.

Thanks for the advice. This evening I was able to set the pump & filter, just waiting on the last 5-6" of fill. I plan to go out early in the morning and run through the initial startup then can let it run for 3-4 hours as my neighbor can turn off the pump around lunch.

I was not able to take my initial TF100 readings, so is there a "safe" amount of bleach I can add in the morning to get me through to Friday? I picked up 4 gal on the way home tonight.

Thanks again for the help.

Why do you need to "get through to Friday"? You should be adding bleach every day to keep it around 1-2ppm until you get some CYA dissolved in the water. Problem is with no CYA, you will lose up to 50% of the chlorine every hour.

jblizzle said:
Why do you need to "get through to Friday"? You should be adding bleach every day to keep it around 1-2ppm until you get some CYA dissolved in the water. Problem is with no CYA, you will lose up to 50% of the chlorine every hour.

I am heading out of town in the morning on business :roll:. This was unplanned and I thought I had all week to work on/ monitor the pool. Now I basically have tomorrow early a.m. to do "something" to hopefully keep from having a nasty pool when I return Friday.

So if I understand correctly, for right now I would be better off with a tablet floater (I can have my wife put one in tomorrow night) until I'm back? Do they normally have FC and CYA in the same tab?

Hand her the test kit, set up the pool calculator on her phone and give her your password for TFP. We won't talk smack on you. :mrgreen: If she's going to swim in the pool she needs to take care of it if you can't. It's not rocket science.

ericmcdowell73 said:
jblizzle said:

I am heading out of town in the morning on business :roll:. This was unplanned and I thought I had all week to work on/ monitor the pool. Now I basically have tomorrow early a.m. to do "something" to hopefully keep from having a nasty pool when I return Friday.

So if I understand correctly, for right now I would be better off with a tablet floater (I can have my wife put one in tomorrow night) until I'm back? Do they normally have FC and CYA in the same tab?
The typical tablets have chlorine and CYA together. Throw some in a floater. Have your wife add liquid chlorine at night. You will get the benefit of chlorine until the sun comes up. The sun will burn most if not all of it out during the day. The shot of bleach every night should hold you over for a few days.

Depending on the concentration, half a gallon every night is a good start. The pool calc will tell you for certain.

Casey - already tried that but she likes for me to figure things out then show her. I'm OK with that but time will not allow this week :cry: . Not worried about smack talk...she can keep up with the best! She rocks though...spent several weekends digging in this Georgia clay with our 10 & 5 year olds asking every 10 minutes "is the pool done yet?". We figured this build would either ruin our marriage or make it stronger. It was a toss up a few times but we made it to the homestretch.

I read about you build and all you guys went through :goodjob: . Looks great.

DorsalSpine said:
The typical tablets have chlorine and CYA together. Throw some in a floater. Have your wife add liquid chlorine at night. You will get the benefit of chlorine until the sun comes up. The sun will burn most if not all of it out during the day. The shot of bleach every night should hold you over for a few days.

Depending on the concentration, half a gallon every night is a good start. The pool calc will tell you for certain.

Exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks! You guys rock

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On a good day, my hubby wouldn't do it either. lol He's been getting around the house ok. He went down to shut the garage door and I asked him to shut the pump off and he forgot so if I needed him to give the pool a drink, he'd probably forget. It's ok though... :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.