Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Need advice on initial treatment

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Need advice on initial treatment

    So I posted yesterday showing the pool filling with water. I had hoped to have the plumbing & filter set by this evening but just found out I will be away for a few days. So the question is- what can I put in the water tonight that will keep away algae, etc? I get REAL nervous since it's stagnant water as of this morning (pool full to bottom of return inlet).

    Thanks in advance!
    18x33x54 Resin Hybrid AGP, 16,800 gal, 1.5hp Pentair, 22" sand filter, Saltron, PVC plumbing, Main drains, wedding cake steps, TF-100, Installed August 2013

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    Bleach.
    You can stir with a pool brush or similar as often as you are willing. It looks like you've been reading here. Use the Pool Caculator for a precise dose. If I were waiting on equipment, that is what I would do along with adding some CYA with the sock method. Then keep the pool stirred. If someone can't help you, you could float some Tabs of Di-Chlor or Tri-Chlor. Just to start they would be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,337

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    If you won't have the equipment hooked up you can get a sump pump and just drop it in and let it run. If you don't have any CYA in the water you can get a floater with some tablets in it and let it add a little FC to the water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    Thanks for the advice. This evening I was able to set the pump & filter, just waiting on the last 5-6" of fill. I plan to go out early in the morning and run through the initial startup then can let it run for 3-4 hours as my neighbor can turn off the pump around lunch.

    I was not able to take my initial TF100 readings, so is there a "safe" amount of bleach I can add in the morning to get me through to Friday? I picked up 4 gal on the way home tonight.

    Thanks again for the help.
    18x33x54 Resin Hybrid AGP, 16,800 gal, 1.5hp Pentair, 22" sand filter, Saltron, PVC plumbing, Main drains, wedding cake steps, TF-100, Installed August 2013

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    Why do you need to "get through to Friday"? You should be adding bleach every day to keep it around 1-2ppm until you get some CYA dissolved in the water. Problem is with no CYA, you will lose up to 50% of the chlorine every hour.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Why do you need to "get through to Friday"? You should be adding bleach every day to keep it around 1-2ppm until you get some CYA dissolved in the water. Problem is with no CYA, you will lose up to 50% of the chlorine every hour.
    I am heading out of town in the morning on business . This was unplanned and I thought I had all week to work on/ monitor the pool. Now I basically have tomorrow early a.m. to do "something" to hopefully keep from having a nasty pool when I return Friday.

    So if I understand correctly, for right now I would be better off with a tablet floater (I can have my wife put one in tomorrow night) until I'm back? Do they normally have FC and CYA in the same tab?
    18x33x54 Resin Hybrid AGP, 16,800 gal, 1.5hp Pentair, 22" sand filter, Saltron, PVC plumbing, Main drains, wedding cake steps, TF-100, Installed August 2013

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    Hand her the test kit, set up the pool calculator on her phone and give her your password for TFP. We won't talk smack on you. If she's going to swim in the pool she needs to take care of it if you can't. It's not rocket science.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    114

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by ericmcdowell73
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Why do you need to "get through to Friday"? You should be adding bleach every day to keep it around 1-2ppm until you get some CYA dissolved in the water. Problem is with no CYA, you will lose up to 50% of the chlorine every hour.
    I am heading out of town in the morning on business . This was unplanned and I thought I had all week to work on/ monitor the pool. Now I basically have tomorrow early a.m. to do "something" to hopefully keep from having a nasty pool when I return Friday.

    So if I understand correctly, for right now I would be better off with a tablet floater (I can have my wife put one in tomorrow night) until I'm back? Do they normally have FC and CYA in the same tab?
    The typical tablets have chlorine and CYA together. Throw some in a floater. Have your wife add liquid chlorine at night. You will get the benefit of chlorine until the sun comes up. The sun will burn most if not all of it out during the day. The shot of bleach every night should hold you over for a few days.

    Depending on the concentration, half a gallon every night is a good start. The pool calc will tell you for certain.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    Casey - already tried that but she likes for me to figure things out then show her. I'm OK with that but time will not allow this week . Not worried about smack talk...she can keep up with the best! She rocks though...spent several weekends digging in this Georgia clay with our 10 & 5 year olds asking every 10 minutes "is the pool done yet?". We figured this build would either ruin our marriage or make it stronger. It was a toss up a few times but we made it to the homestretch.

    I read about you build and all you guys went through . Looks great.
    18x33x54 Resin Hybrid AGP, 16,800 gal, 1.5hp Pentair, 22" sand filter, Saltron, PVC plumbing, Main drains, wedding cake steps, TF-100, Installed August 2013

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by DorsalSpine
    The typical tablets have chlorine and CYA together. Throw some in a floater. Have your wife add liquid chlorine at night. You will get the benefit of chlorine until the sun comes up. The sun will burn most if not all of it out during the day. The shot of bleach every night should hold you over for a few days.

    Depending on the concentration, half a gallon every night is a good start. The pool calc will tell you for certain.
    Exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks! You guys rock
    18x33x54 Resin Hybrid AGP, 16,800 gal, 1.5hp Pentair, 22" sand filter, Saltron, PVC plumbing, Main drains, wedding cake steps, TF-100, Installed August 2013

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Need advice on initial treatment

    On a good day, my hubby wouldn't do it either. lol He's been getting around the house ok. He went down to shut the garage door and I asked him to shut the pump off and he forgot so if I needed him to give the pool a drink, he'd probably forget. It's ok though...
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •