Hayward Pump Prime Problems

jacton

Aug 26, 2013
Sand Springs, OK
This is my first summer with a pool, so I'm relatively new to this.

I've got a hayward super pump with a sand filter. I've currently got a green pool and using the tips on SLAMing it to get rid of that, but I'm having issues keeping prime. I filled the pump pot up with water and turned it on, water was flowing but it wasn't priming. I have a new lid and gasket on it. I ended up getting it to prime by releasing some air from the air release valve on the filter. It was good for at least an hour, then I went back to check it and water was still flowing but not primed. I replaced the pipe going from the pump to the filter as it had drip. There is water on the underside of the pipe coming from the skimmer to the pump, could that be causing the issue?

Also, when I try backwash, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to get ANY water flowing in the basket at all.

One other thing that seems weird, but may be normal. When I turn the pump off, water fills the pump pot basket, then shoots out of the skimmer basket knocking the lid off.

Water level in the pool is good, so I know it isn't that.

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated. I'm really impressed with this forum, I've read a lot of great stuff on here.

Any leaks on the suction side of the pump will cause problems priming. If there's water on the skimmer line it certainly could be the culprit.

As Smy said, Your pool info and some pictures of the pool and equipment will help.

Sorry, I should have added that before I asked. My info is in my sig. I'll get some equipment pics added soon. If the pump still has water flowing through it but it's not primed is that enough to keep water flowing through the filter to get rid of the algae problem? I'm so close to killing it off, all the water is getting cloudy white, and I was close to passing the overnight test today, but it dropped over 1ppm.

I believe it was. I'll check again when I get home. I'm still fairly new to this whole thing. Maybe my definition of prime is off, but to me prime means you don't see any air in the pump pot basket. Prime to me is when all you can see in the pump pot basket is water. Mine starts out doing that, and I can get it to do it when I release some air from the air release value on top of the filter. However, after it starts out primed, I'll check it an hour or two later and I'll see water flowing through the pump pot basket but it isn't completely full of water. I can see the water stream coming out of the skimmer line.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

So you can get it to prime but then it gets air in it. You have an air leak on the suction side somewhere.

Check the water level in the pool and if it's less than half way up on the skimmer face add some water.

Check the skimmer weir to make sure it's not sticking and that it operates freely.

Check the skimmer to see if it forms a vortex in it when the pump is running.

Clean and lube the pump basket lid and o-ring.

Check and reseal the pump drain plugs.

If none of that helps, run a good full flow of water from a hose over the pump basket and then the fittings, looking at the basket to see if the air stops getting into it. If the air stops or slows down you've found your leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.