Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 2 of BBB and I am using a lot of Chlorine...

1. Back To Top    #1

Day 2 of BBB and I am using a lot of Chlorine...

I converted to BBB a few days ago. Drained pool about 50%, and adjusted all chems. SLAMed the pool (using recommended procedure)

Today I started the day with (all tests done with TF100 kit)
    at 7am
    FC of 6.5 (added 179 oz bleach last night)
    CC 0
    CYA 35-40.
    Ph 7.3
    TA 110

It was a sunny day, no swimmers, temps mid 80s.

Now 5:30pm
    FC 0.5
    CC 0
    CYA 35-40
    Ph 7.3
    TA 110.

To get up to 8 ppm CL pool calc suggests 204 oz of 8.25% bleach which I added - about a jug and a half.

Pool is crystal clear - absolutely sparkling. So what gives? Adding 1.5 jugs of bleach a day is going to get expensive.

I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.
    18k vinyl IGP, Sand Filter, EasyTouch Control Sys, Pentair Intelliflo, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, Rheem Heat Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Day 2 of BBB and I am using a lot of Chlorine...

When you performed the SLAM process, did you perform an OCLT as a part of determining if the process was complete?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a light in your pool? Ladder? If you have a light, I highly suggest you take the light out and see what you have behind it. Ladders are also where algae likes to hid.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

So -- this seems like to much chlorine demand correct?

If so then I will do the overnight test again to be sure. I don't have ladders, but I do have lights.

With the overnight test, should the pump run?
    18k vinyl IGP, Sand Filter, EasyTouch Control Sys, Pentair Intelliflo, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, Rheem Heat Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes and yes.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have lights and you fail you OCLT, pull out the lights and clean behind them. I have read of others fighting FC loss for 10 days to find a garden behind he lamps.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are the results of the OCLT
    Last night FC = 9.25
    This am FC = 8.5
    and CC =0

I think we passed the test.

My guess is that maybe I had some algae that has gotten eaten up over the past day or so by the Chlorine - and now it is gone. I think I will leave it today and see the loss again during the daylight hours. If I am still loosing a lot, then I will SLAM tonight just in case.

The other possibility must by my CYA which is in the 30-40 range. I might need to push that up a bit. But I will wait a day to do that.

Although this is a bit of a pain - now that I understand the process (thanks TFP) I now understand the interaction of the different factors that affect my water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbrit
    I now understand the interaction of the different factors that affect my water.
    This is a big part of being a BBB'er and puts you in control of managing your pool water.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

It's also pretty easy to get fooled on the CYA test. If you can see any hint of the dot in the tube, you need to add more liquid. HIgh chlorine loss during the day but not overnight sounds like your CYA is on the low side.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Update: I started today with 8ppm FC, ended up with 2ppm. Still a 6ppm loss. I think this is because of my CYA. It is gradually coming up, but I am reluctant to adjust too frequently because of the time it takes for the CYA to absorb (see my post http://www.troublefreepool.com/cya-a...ts-t69244.html)

So I will check the OCLT again tonight and keep an eye on consumption tomorrow.

Still - even with this tweaking going on the pool is clearer than it has ever been (it was installed in the spring).

12. Back To Top    #12

After you run the OCLT tonight, target an FC of 10 tomorrow morning. You don't want your FC dropping below 3 because then you're just asking for algae to gain a foothold. Even at 10 you're well below shock level for a CYA of 40.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

13. Back To Top    #13

I am actually tempted to go ahead and SLAM again just to be sure.

14. Back To Top    #14

If you did and OCLT you would KNOW if you needed to SLAM.
    -- Guy --

15. Back To Top    #15

You are right - I am just neurotic. I need to trust the science!

16. Back To Top    #16

It takes some time to adjust from the "add something, wait, hope, pray" mentality of pool store methods.

If you test and it says to add A, add A, if not...
    -- Guy --

17. Back To Top    #17

Just an update. I still am only loosing less than 1 ppm overnight

During the day I lost about 2ppm for FC (cloudy day) I went from 10 to 8. I will probably target 8ppm for tomorrow morning.

My CYA is 40.

All is well with the world. I think I have reached a stable and balanced pool - water is beautiful - Sparkling clean.

THANK YOU!!! Troublefreepool.com!!!!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Nice work!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Nice work!

And it really didn't take too long. I started the process on Saturday with a partial drain.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast