Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Don't know where to start

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Don't know where to start

I have bought a forclosed house with this mess(hope you see pic) I have read here and think I know where to go in the pool but what about the grass and mess on the cover. I am worried I will be adding half of that into the pool if I pull the cover off? Any Ideas where to start before attacking the pool itself? I'm closing in a week and am trying to get a headstart idea. Thanks for any help[attachment=0:1t5x4nx8]inground.jpg[/attachment:1t5x4nx8]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Don't know where to start

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, that is certainly a first for me to see. We have seen trees growing in a filled pool, but not grass on the cover.

I would suggest trying to shovel off as much of that as you can before pulling the cover off. Although, given how long the cover has been on, dropping some of that into the pool is probably not going to make anything worse.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh wow.... You definitely bought a swamp!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Whenever you start this process, please please please take lots of pictures every step of the way. This could be conversion of the decade!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

A high-powered leaf blower would probably be good for starters.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

6. Back To Top    #6

Even though I have never removed a cover, I suspect that lots of folks helping would make a big difference.

Starting with a blower sounds like a plan.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a relation who had this situation. The lush green growth will be firmly matted in the mesh of the cover, which will make it heavy. Hopefully it will hold together sufficiently to get it off in one piece but be warned it may just tear and fall apart in which case its going to have to be fished out any way you can. You need plenty of strong willing help to gradually peel back the cover from the far end and make sure you've got plenty of space to dump the cover out of the way when you're done. (Hint: if someone trips and falls in, DO NOT LAUGH.) It helps if you ease/wiggle/remove and replace each of the fixings before you start so you know they will come out OK when you need them to. Undo them gradually as you move along the pool with the cover to the shallow end. You may be lucky and it will come off quite easily, just depends on the integrity of that cover.
    16k gallon inground pool
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    Diamondbrite surface (i think. I am not original homeowner).
    1.5hp Hayward Super Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I would be surprised if the grass will blow off. I'd get several people to help and tie ropes to the straps on one of the long sides. Loosen the straps and throw the ropes over the pool. Keep the other straps in place. The objective is to roll the cover over while the end straps hold it in place and keep it from sliding into the pool. Take the remaining straps off as needed.

You probably don't have it but there is a tool to remove the spring loaded straps from the pins that stick up. It looks like a piece of pipe with a notch in the end. The pipe drops down inside the metal ring on the end of the strap. The notch fits in the free space. When you rotate the pipe the notched section slides between the ring and the pin. This lets you lever the strap and ring up off the pin.

Be careful, the springs are pretty strong. If you are levering the ring up with a screw driver it's going to jump back when it comes off the pin. A pool store may sell you or loan you the tool if they also close/open pools. It's a PITA without the tool.

That winter cover is pretty strong. Hopefully, it is in good enough shape that it stays together.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

9. Back To Top    #9

Make sure you have the correct tool to remove the spring loaded straps from the anchor points. It can be very dangerous if you don't! Hopefully the tool was left some where around the house. Please do take lots of pictures this will be an interesting thread!
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

can anyone link a picture of this tool, or a link as to where to buy it?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessPhish
    can anyone link a picture of this tool, or a link as to where to buy it?
    http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/p ... MgodgQoAVA
    I don't know anything about the vendor but the picture is correct.

12. Back To Top    #12

the installation rod, part D in that picture?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

I really want to watch this one!

PLEASE take a lot of pics. Not only for our enjoyment, but once you "got this" and know what you're doing, you will look back on the "before" pics and be very satisfied with yourself.
    22,000 inground Fiberglass
    DE Filter Pentair FNSP 48
    Century Centurion 1.0 HP 1.25 S.F. 3450 RPM

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessPhish
    the installation rod, part D in that picture?
    Yes. Part D is the rod I was talking about. You can see the notched end that lets you get between the ring and the pin.

The allen wrench (part E) is to lower the pins once you have the cover off.

15. Back To Top    #15

Where are you located?? I know if you were near me i would be willing to help just for the learning experience .... who knows you may find someone here to help you in person
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

16. Back To Top    #16

Goodluck! get lots helpers and take your time! You are definitely in the right place for help. Keep us updated. Cant wait to see the progress
    IG 16x32 Grecian - Vinyl - Approx 18k gal - 1 HP Hayward Super Pump - Pentair Triton II TR-60 Sand Filter - Hayward ColorLogic Light - Hayward H250FD Heater

17. Back To Top    #17

I wonder how strong the cover is. If it has been sitting a while it may be dry rotted and fall apart on you. If it is strong enough you may be able to use a pressure washer to push the dirt and **** to the side of the pool before you attempt the other methods mentioned above to remove the cover. From the looks of the trees you are not located anywhere around me but I would be willing to help remove it if you are close enough.
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.
    Oak trees overhanging most of pool

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by rotenka
    I wonder how strong the cover is. If it has been sitting a while it may be dry rotted and fall apart on you. If it is strong enough you may be able to use a pressure washer to push the dirt and **** to the side of the pool before you attempt the other methods mentioned above to remove the cover. From the looks of the trees you are not located anywhere around me but I would be willing to help remove it if you are close enough.
    They are very strong but there is no telling if it is dry rotted or not. I wouldn't use a pressure washer myself. The water you will add will just increase the weight on the cover. You can cut a groove in things with a jet nozzle if you are not careful.

Just my $.02.

19. Back To Top    #19

Looks to me like you just need to grab this bull by the horns and do it. Remove the cover and then deal with the overgrowth.

If a blower helps maybe but it simply looks like it would remove the light debris which is not your primary issue. Not sure I would trust the integrity of it either until you get the live stuff out of the weave.

Good luck.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

A good blower will blow away the water on the surface plus any debris in it. At least thats the way it worked when I opened the pool I'm taking care of this year. I didn't have a rice paddy growing on top of it though so it may not work quite as planned here. :P You might want to get one of those plastic rakes and see how easy the grass pulls off.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast