Upright rubbing finish of pool wall

Makdaddy

Jul 23, 2012
Springfield Illinois
Well I noticed yesterday that the sides of the uprights appear to be rubbing a line (Vertical) into the finish on the pool outside walls
Almost all of the uprights have done this
I can only expect its from the walls flexing???
there is no groove its just rubbed the finish off, like a scuff

So how paranoid should I be?

Couple of pictures

n7rk.jpg

4bee.jpg

Your in Illinois so you get pretty cold winters correct?
I'd bet it's because there's not much room between the decking and the post, I'd bet that your getting a bit of movement between the two during winter freeze/thaw.
I left about around 1 inch between my deck and pool, 3 years later I have noticed a bit of movement.

Oh, I see. I thought your concern was over the finish potentially wearing off and corrosion following. No idea if the rubbing is cause for concern from a larger structural issue standpoint. Still might not be a bad idea to put something in there before the finish wears through.

cramar said:
Your in Illinois so you get pretty cold winters correct?
I'd bet it's because there's not much room between the decking and the post, I'd bet that your getting a bit of movement between the two during winter freeze/thaw.
I left about around 1 inch between my deck and pool, 3 years later I have noticed a bit of movement.

Well then deck is 1 month old
I just took those pics in that area, the other posts that dont have any decking around them are also doing the same thing
I emailed the company I got the pool from, Ill wait and see what they say

My deck is very similar to your deck. I just added more decking to it and while I was working on it, DD was swimming. I had no idea the walls and risers moved so much when she played in the pool. I think your deck is too close to the riser and possibly the walls.

It's not caused by the deck.It's caused by your top plate not resting on the steel stabilizer rail under your top rail.(theres a gap between the top plate and rail i'd guess about 3/4")Look under your top rail at a spot where one of your uprights is rubbing,you'll see what I mean.

Not sure if you have any steel parts in your pool (other than the wall) but I don't in mine. Mine are all resin.

This is my pool and deck. I took these today and the deck has been in place for about 7 years.

20130829_081238.jpg

20130829_081200.jpg

20130829_081137.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that I see what i posted, the first (top) shot has my new section at the bottom. The bottom three boards are "new" (sat in my yard for a year before being installed). I don't remember making that cut as close tot he riser as it is in this shot. I tried to leave a pencil's diameter of room between the pool wall and risers and the boards. I used a pencil as a spacer. It seems the carpenter I hired for the main deck used a pencil for all of the spacing on the deck.

Did you look at the gap between the steel stabilizer ring and the top plate? The gap allows the upright to move(when your swimming) not only in and out but left to right also,causing your scuffing.Ever notice how your top rail is not completely flat but is slightly "scalloped" in the areas where the side wall is scuffed.It's easier to spot if you stand on one side of the pool and look at the opposite side.You can see it in the 2nd photo you posted.(vertical post is the high point)

Wow

yesterday I really found the real issues
it finally got up into the 90,s I walked out of the garage and saw the upright by the deck leaning backwards the top plate completely off the rim of the pool, I walked around the pool and found 2 more uprights not connected to the top rail.

I freaked out, my wife told me to calm down, and I finally did.
called the pool builder, but he has not called me back yet.
I told my wife that we will probably have to drain the pool to fix this, she says im crazy and over reacting

CB said:
Did you look at the gap between the steel stabilizer ring and the top plate? The gap allows the upright to move(when your swimming) not only in and out but left to right also,causing your scuffing.Ever notice how your top rail is not completely flat but is slightly "scalloped" in the areas where the side wall is scuffed.It's easier to spot if you stand on one side of the pool and look at the opposite side.You can see it in the 2nd photo you posted.(vertical post is the high point)

I always thought that was not right
I see you have the same pool
Can you post a picture of yours

I can take a couple pics,it won't be today.The reason your having trouble is they redesigned the length of the uprights.They were having trouble with settling issues,so they made the uprights longer.The problem with that is if you install the pool correctly the pool settling will be minimum and you will find that gap I was talking about.If you look in the "manual" they list pavers for the verticals as an "optional".The other problem is the top rail is resin & the verticals are resin,they didn't allow enough expansion room for of the type of plastic they used..Did they look at your pool yet?

Greg, hopefully your issue will be solved soon.

Am I the only one seeing the optical delusion in some of those pix? Look at the radius at the bottom of the photos as defined by the decking. Now look at the top rail radius. Spooky! Do do do do Do do do do..... :crazy:

NHfloater said:
Greg, hopefully your issue will be solved soon.

Am I the only one seeing the optical delusion in some of those pix? Look at the radius at the bottom of the photos as defined by the decking. Now look at the top rail radius. Spooky! Do do do do Do do do do..... :crazy:

Thanks
time will tell

I sent pics to USA POOL PROS the company out of Chicago I got the pool from
He denied any issues with the uprights
But he will try to warranty the uprights off of the pictures
So I wonder if they will be shorter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.