Motor Fried? Or Something Else?

May 13, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Last night went out to check the equipment, and the infloor motor wasn't running, but was exceptionally hot.

This morning I took it apart, hoping it was a clogged impeller. Though there was a small amount of debris, the impeller bolt was entirely loose. Strange. I thought that could have been the cause of the motor not running.

I cleaned the debris, tightened the bolt, and...nothing.

Checked the capacitor, and while I'm not sure if it's bad, all the leads were fine. I also know that a blown cap is a sign of a bigger problem anyhow, so I tend to not view a replacement as a "fix" that lasts more than a few days.

The motor is a little over two years old.

I have my pool guy coming to look at it, but these motors generally last me longer than two years, and I tend to hear the windings crapping out.

Is it possible the loose impeller bolt caused something else to malfunction inside? I replaced the shaft seal about 3 months ago, and everything looked fine at the time.

Does the shaft move freely?

jaimejaime said:
I also know that a blown cap is a sign of a bigger problem anyhow, so I tend to not view a replacement as a "fix" that lasts more than a few days.
This hasn't been my experience. If you have a multimeter with a capacitance setting, use that to test the capacitor to makes sure it still reads within its speced range. If you do not have a capacitance setting, then you can try this: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Start-Capacitor Most the time when my capacitors have gone bad, one of these two approaches will diagnosis it...but it is still possible to have a cap look correct per these tests and still not work. It is sort of a good way of knowing if the capacitor is clearly bad, but not so good to know if the capacitor is clearly good.

Having a loose impeller is odd since when the motor spins the bolt should only tighten. Are you sure nothing is broken?

I know this is not the most technical method but my first test to see if something fried is smell it. It leaves a very distinct smell that never really seems to go away and it is typically quite strong for larger device.

I have worked in computers for years. We say that computers and other devices work on smoke. When you let the smoke out, they don't work anymore (joke).

linen said:
Does the shaft move freely?

Having a loose impeller is odd since when the motor spins the bolt should only tighten. Are you sure nothing is broken?

Yes, the shaft moves just fine. I've never seen the impeller bolt come loose before. Makes me wonder if it caused something else to break internally. While I can, and have, taken the motor apart, I don't have the time today, but it's quite possible something is broken. I'll know more when the pool guy investigates.

techguy said:
I know this is not the most technical method but my first test to see if something fried is smell it. It leaves a very distinct smell that never really seems to go away and it is typically quite strong for larger device.

I have worked in computers for years. We say that computers and other devices work on smoke. When you let the smoke out, they don't work anymore (joke).

LOL.

No, no smell at all.

I've seen, smelled and heard the motor die before. This is why I thought a clogged impeller is what was causing the motor to not run, since there were no other signs of failure.

I just had to spend $200 to have the bulkhead replaced on the filter, so I'm crossing everything I don't have to spend $$$ to replace the motor.

FIXED!! :)

There was a rock stuck in a groove in the impeller, and some debris stuck in the seal. Cleaned both out, replaced the cap, and viola. Power.

I *think* the rock caused the impeller to stop, and then the cap fried from taking all that power, and not being able to flip the motor on.

SUCH a good feeling when you can fix these things on your own.

Thanks, guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.