Need to replace pump - recommendations welcome

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
I know how to keep a pool clean, but no knowledge about pumps at all. Attached is a picture of my existing pump. It's squealing and howling (both) very badly, it is most certainly going out. I guess 12 years of use was too much for it.

My pool specs are in my sig line.

I pay approximately 11.5 cents per kwh. Don't know if going to a 2 speed will save significant funds, but I am willing if it will. I'm currently on about a 7 hour run time to keep FC up with the SWG.

Pool has one skimmer near the middle of the pool, and 4 returns at the shallow end, all pointed toward the back of the pool.

I also don't know if I should replace just the pump, or replace the impeller at the same time.

It is wired 220v, if it matters.

pump_zps6a4b1c22.jpg

Returns are all along this wall, skimmer can be seen on left. There is a main drain in the floor, I still don't know if it is hooked up though.

pool2.jpg

You could replace just the motor with the same HP and SF ratings, or any other motor where HP * SF = 1.65. If you go this route, replace the seals between the wet end and the motor at the sametime.

The other option is to just replace the whole pump with a new one. Given the size of your pool, I'd look for a new pump about the same size (the Pentair Whisperflo as an example).

Man I hate to hear that Robbie! Something else to eat into the re-finish funds eh? I'm only in reaearch mode with pumps so I can't offer much. Any chance its just a shaft seal or something similar? I bet one of the pump guys will be along shortly to offer more. Good luck Pal.

RobbieH said:
I'm currently on about a 7 hour run time to keep FC up with the SWG.
This makes you a great canidate for a 2-speed assuming that it would move enough water to activate your swg flow switch on low. Think about it this way, running for 7 hours on low would use 1/4 the energy and would still likely keep you pool water clear.

Do you have a model number for the pump (what you took a picture of just shows the motor details I think)?

I'm going to correct myself again.

Without the SWG, I can run just 5-6 hours to keep the pool clear. With the SWG in line, I must run 8-9 hours, or more, to keep the FC up to 4. I have CYA of 70 (need to bring it up a little more), I just figure with the pool being so big, the amount of leaves I get every day, and the full sun, it just takes a lot of chlorine to keep the FC at level. I'm still doing some adjustments on the SWG (percentage, pump run time...) as I just got a new controller (had a board failure) and this one seems to either be acting differently than the old one; or, although unlikely, I have not properly held FC up while the SWG takes over (brought FC up to 8 when SWG came back up, was holding at 6 during outage). Doing daily checks to determine which. I don't think I currently have a flow problem, it's just horribly loud.

So with a 2-speed motor and the same pump curve as you currently have, you would likely need to run on low for ~10 hours to keep the pool clear which is just slightly more than the 9 hours to keep the pool chlorinated. Again yours is a good case for a 2-speed.

I am not sure if you missed my question above about the pump model number (I edit my post)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RobbieH said:
The model is on the sticker. 1103665400. A Google search finds this:
http://www.aqua-man.com/motorManDetails ... orID=18878

Replacement is AO Smith B854
That looks right to me...also cross referenced here: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/03000017000395.htm

RobbieH said:
Does this look like a viable replacement? Does anyone know if I can wire my SWG into the pump's timer? Will the SWG run on both high and low?

http://www.poolplaza.com/P-AOS-B2983T-5005.html

These guys are just up the road from me, would be easy to go pick it up.
Yes, but that is really expensive. Do you know if you are wired for 115 or 230 volts? All the 2-speed motors I know of at that size are 230 volts.

Much cheaper here: http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352062874.htm and http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Cent...a-Motor-with-Integrated-Timer-230V/B2983T.htm

RobbieH said:
Does anyone know if I can wire my SWG into the pump's timer? Will the SWG run on both high and low?
I am not sure about this. You need to look at the minimum flow rate for the swg.

Yes, as noted, I'm wired 230. I'm getting 116v per leg, I tested this yesterday as I was checking grounds and such in my old wiring system. :)

That is a lot cheaper. I searched INYOPOOLS before, but it pulled up the 2hp version without me realizing it. I'll call them and ask about the wiring.

I am not too concerned about the minimum flow of the SWG, I need to wire the SWG into the pump's timer so that it turns on and off. I'll see if I can find my minimum flow. It's a CompuPool CPSC48.

One thing about going up to my local place is I can have it today, and there are no shipping costs. But that price difference with the right pump at inyo, is significant.

Or if something goes wrong, they are local.

My current pump is still running, but boy it sure is loud. It makes a high-pitched squeal for the first 15-30 minutes at start-up, then it makes a "waving" grinding noise at all times.

RobbieH said:
another question, think I'm ok just changing the pump end when it is all 22 years old?
That is a long life for a pump, but if that part is still working well, I see no reason to change other than some newer designs may be a little more efficient. For sure your pump design is reliable.

RobbieH said:
And evidently I'm a D on this chart, but I don't know what that means to me yet.
That pump curve shows that your pump is comparable to 3/4 hp full-rated pentair whisperflo, though the whisperflo appears to be more energy efficient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.