New Pool Owner + New Plaster

Aug 4, 2013
Hello everyone,
I just purchased and moved into a new home (first home). The house has a backyard with an 18000 gallon in ground pool. Part of the deal was the sellers had to replaster the pool due to bad delamination of the previous plaster job. It was complete on 8/22. The pool was immediately filled and chemicals added on the 24th when the pool was filled. Now I take over. I have a tf100 in the mail, a brush and a net. I have been brushing at least once per day, twice if i can. Then netting out any debris I can. I am excited about this new challenge and look forward to the rewards that go along with it. I wanted to thank everyone in advance for their help. This site has been a tremendous help already. I have gone through pool school and that is a perfect learning tool for beginners.

So here is my first question. The spa is extremely cloudy. I am guessing that there is more plaster and less water which = more cloudy while the plaster cures. Is this correct. I will be mainting the pool on my own using BBB. I will test the water as soon as my kit arrives and use the calculator to do maintenance, but wanted to introduce myself and provide some info, as I am sure more questions will arrise. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to TFP!

Congratulations on taking the first steps to correctly manage your pool water. To answer your question, maybe. Is the rest of the pool cloudy, and have you been adding anything for Chlorination yet? Hard to say without knowing more honestly. Do you know if your filter is working properly? Could be more than one reason for the cloudiness. Let us know and again, welcome to the forum.

None of the equipment is running. I was told not to run anything until 10 days into the cure. This prevents the extra acid added to prevent calcium deposits from getting into the equipment and pipes. There are currently plugs in all pool returns until the pool will be vacuumed out Wednesday and the pump can start running. This is my understanding of what I was told by pool company and previous pool guy.

Also the company that did that plaster work had a guy come out Saturday and set up pool chemistry. I have added nothing. He added liquid chlorine and muriatic acid, as far as I know. He told me to wait until the equipment was running to test and adjust chemicals.

Well, if that is what they say to handle the startup, I'm not sure you have much choice. Let it be their baby, and make them responsible if any problems with the new finish arise. Interesting...

How exciting, congratulations!

For plaster start-up, always follow the advice of the installer. Otherwise, you may void the warranty, and you certainly don't want to do that. It sounds like your installer is using a version of the acid start-up: pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up.

If you're concerned about the extra cloudiness in the spa, contact the pool company and ask about it. They are in the best position to know what is normal with this start-up for your pool. In the meantime, keep brushing as directed, and try to find some elusive POP (pool owner patience) until start-up is complete!

Well they are coming out again today to readjust chemicals and vacuum. After that it is my pool to deal with. In the meantime I brush and net like a maniac to keep my mind off of other stuff. I have recieved my tf100 so I should be in good shape to take over.

In other news, Coliman pools of dallas/fort worth did the plaster work. I would not recommend them. They did the original plaster job in 2009 that delaminated so badly patching was impossible. They cut my backwash line and didnt fix it until I called them and told them to. Then when they came backto do it they broke my fence gate. Needless to say I am less than impressed, but it is just my experience. Others may have had a good one but thought I should note it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.