Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cover tips

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cover tips

Hi guys,

Can I pick your brains please?

I have just invested in a solar pool cover (expensive bubble wrap) for our 16 foot round AGP.
    As you can imagine, living in the UK we can never rely on the weather but I'm going to try and make the most of solar to keep the pool warm.

My question related to how to get the best from the solar cover.
    I don't know too much about thermodynamics so I don;t know whether it would be best to leave the pump on circulating the water all day or whether to just let the top part of the pool warm up and get circulated when the kids jump in. Maybe it doesn't make a blind bit of difference either way, I don't know.

Today I left the pump off and the surface few inches maxed out at 29oC but when the kids mixed it all up it dropped to about 22oC.

Any thoughts?
    Intex 16'x48" AGP 5,000 (uk) gallons
    Intex 635 pump
    Bio Diesel filter bags
    4 solar radiators and a solar cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cover tips

My 2 cents.... I leave my solar cover on when no one is in the pool. It keep the pool from losing heat during the night and during the cool days. It doesn't matter if the pump is running or not.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3

We use our solar cover as a blanket more than a heat producer. So we cover at night and leave it on until someone goes for a dip, leave it off during warm days, cover it back up when the night temp goes below 65°F or so. I don't run the pump during cooler evenings, just in the morning between 9-12 and later in the day between 5-9.
    I have two thermometers, one floats, one sinks. I have a couple degree difference between the two, top is warmer.
    2007 - 24' AG Doughboy Desert Spring dished 1.5', with DB Power Pak II-1hp pump, DB Sequel I Plus DE, Hayward H-Series Heater 100k + 8gal LQ.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think if you run the pump when the sun is out, and the cover is on, it should warm up your pool.

This is what I do, but I live in LA, so it does get hotter here. My timer is on to run from later morning to mid afternoon, when it is the hottest. I also run an hour at night, but that is just to circulate the water, so the time with no circulation is not too long.

Randy
    25,000 gal fiberglass pool, Raypak 200k BTU H200FDN gas heater, Pentair CCP520 520 sq ft Cart filter, Max-Flo VS2303VSP pump. iWave wireless remote,

seperate spa, with own pump, cartridge filter, Hayward H200FDN heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by randytsuch
    I think if you run the pump when the sun is out, and the cover is on, it should warm up your pool.

This is what I do, but I live in LA, so it does get hotter here. My timer is on to run from later morning to mid afternoon, when it is the hottest. I also run an hour at night, but that is just to circulate the water, so the time with no circulation is not too long.

Randy
    Thats what I do, and I live near Chicago....I run my 2 spd pump on low 24/7. My water is always nice and warm top to bottom. I have a heater to.

All this because I don't get in unless the water is at least 86 degrees.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the feedback and opinions guys

Unfortunately I really don't think we get the reliable sunshine that many of you enjoy
    Intex 16'x48" AGP 5,000 (uk) gallons
    Intex 635 pump
    Bio Diesel filter bags
    4 solar radiators and a solar cover

7. Back To Top    #7

hey nick, if you dont in Bristol, then i deffo dont in Southampton lol

nice to see another brit on here
    15 x 36 Intex AGP
    External skimmer
    Mega sand filter
    1/3 HP pump