Help!!!

Jace

Aug 26, 2013
Hello, just recently purchased a home with a pool. I don't know the size, but the deepest end is 5 ft. Sorry, so new to this and the previous owner only checked the FC levels. Now, I have high levels of everything. I went to a pool supply co and had them test the water.

FC-5
TC-5
Ch-700
CYA-700
TA-150
Ph-7.4

I was told to drain 3ft because the PHo was to high (at 1000), but was worried and drained only 2ft. :eek: Now I have to take a sample back for them to retest it, but after researching I found it maybe my DE filter. Of course I don't know for sure, but opening up the cylinder I might be right. I will try to include some pictures of my filter. After we drained the 2ft we checked the levels and Fc was a little lower, but haven't turned on the system yet. Please help! I'm out of my depth here and don't want to spend unnecessary money if I don't have to. I can't include pics, so I'll try to explain. The DE filter is very dirty it has a lot of stuff that looks like sand on the filter and on top of it. I don't know when the previous owner cleaned the filter, but it looks like we can make a sand castle with all the sand. I would appreciate your help with this;)

Welcome to the forum Jace.

Well, there is a lot to tell you, but first what we do here is test our own water and understand what all the chemicals do. We don't trust the Pool Store numbers as a rule and some of those you posted are crazier than most. CYA of 700 is one of them. It's likely very high, but 700 is probably a bogus number. Maybe that was a typo for pH where you wrote it as 1000. There is no such thing as that for pH. If you really want to take control of this on your own, I suggest two things.

First you need a good test kit. Second, while you are waiting on that, begin reading in Pool School and start with the ABC's of Pool Chemistry, then everything else as you have time to absorb it. Without a kit you are flying blind, and you will never know what is really going on with your pool water. The cost of the kit can easily be offset by saving one trip to a pool store that will sell you a boat load of stuff and likely leave you in the same boat you're in now. I cannot encourage you strongly enough to begin here. Doing this yourself is really quite easy and your results will be fantastic once you get the hang of it.

You can find all the info I mention in my signature line, so click on those to find it. Any other info about your pool that you know needs to go into your signature line as well. It helps us help you. We really need some valid test numbers to help you properly, and without a good kit it's very hard to do.

I'm a little confused about your filter. Is the stuff inside more like a fine powder or really more like sand?

Jace said:
Hello, just recently purchased a home with a pool. I don't know the size, but the deepest end is 5 ft. Sorry, so new to this and the previous owner only checked the FC levels. Now, I have high levels of everything. I went to a pool supply co and had them test the water.

FC-5
TC-5
Ch-700
CYA-700
TA-150
Ph-7.4

I was told to drain 3ft because the PHo was to high (at 1000), but was worried and drained only 2ft. :eek: Now I have to take a sample back for them to retest it, but after researching I found it maybe my DE filter. Of course I don't know for sure, but opening up the cylinder I might be right. I will try to include some pictures of my filter. After we drained the 2ft we checked the levels and Fc was a little lower, but haven't turned on the system yet. Please help! I'm out of my depth here and don't want to spend unnecessary money if I don't have to. I can't include pics, so I'll try to explain. The DE filter is very dirty it has a lot of stuff that looks like sand on the filter and on top of it. I don't know when the previous owner cleaned the filter, but it looks like we can make a sand castle with all the sand. I would appreciate your help with this;)

Hi, welcome to TFP! I think the PHo may be a reading for Phosphates, which are a non issue in a properly chlorinated pool. I don't know if they told you the FC was too high, because it is not. If the CYA is 100+ then the FC is too low. There is a direct relationship between the amount of FC that is needed based on the amount of CYA in a pool.

If there is a different pool store in your area have a sample of your water tested and post the results here so we can compare. Don't buy anything from them until we have had a chance to help you review the results. Next, order a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100. The best way to take control of your pool is to do your own testing.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Jace said:
This does not seem right. I have never seen a CYA reading anywhere near this high. The inaccuracy of pool store testing is legendary, but this sets a new bar. Hoping this is a typo. It is important to get an accurate measure of the CYA level in order to know how much FC you need to maintain.

How would you describe the clarity of your pool water?

I'm going to second (actually third :wink: ) the case for getting one of the Recommended Test Kits. You can either spend a little $ now on the test kit and take control of your pool or spend big $ on unnecessary chemicals hoping for a miracle that will likely never occur.

You can ignore the phosphates.

The chlorine/CYA relationship is the first thing a new pool owner needs to gain a solid understanding of and the good news is that it is relatively easy to grasp once you are presented with the information. Once you understand this relationship, you are well on your way to a sparkling pool. Here are a few references to get you started: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine CYA Chart, Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.