Spa pump wont come on after turned on with water valve shut

cjmrdm

Feb 1, 2013
Peoria Arizona
Pool Size
Hello -

I have a variable speed pool pump and another pump for just the spa. The spa overflows into the pool. So, today I shut off the spa water with the red lever so I could clean out the filter. Well, I forgot to open the valve to the water back open. I then went back later to turn the spa on and it made a weird sound ( like it was dry and was grumbling). Then it just stopped. I shut the spa off at the controls and realized shortly after I forgot to open the water valve. Ooooops! So, I opened it back up and turned off the circuit breaker as a trouble shooting step. Nothing worked. Now, I turn on the spa and the pump does not come on. I am sure I broke it by turning it on with the bypass valve shut. How bad is this??? Did I blow the pump?

Thanks for your help!
Robyn

Re: Spa pump wont come on after turned on with water valve s

If you're handy you should take the back cover off the motor and try turning it by hand or with a wrench. It should have some resistance but it should turn smoothly. Be sure the power is off.

If you can't turn it. It means that it's bound mechanically and you need to troubleshoot that part. If it turns smoothly, it means that it's not mechanical and you need to find the electrical problem.

So, I checked the motor today and there is a black piece in the back of the motor.. I think it said shaft cover. I took it off and turn it and it turns smoothly. Is this what you were referring to or do I need to take off the back park of the motor still. I started to try that until the last screw would not come off and started to strip. So, I thought I would check here to see if the shaft was the one to turn before I messed with the backing too much more and cause myself more problems.

Thanks

So, how do I go about troubleshooting an electrical issue? Any ideas what it probably is? Can I just take it to a shop to have it re-built? Would that be the cheapest and easiest solution?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.