Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa pump wont come on after turned on with water valve shut

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa pump wont come on after turned on with water valve shut

Hello -

I have a variable speed pool pump and another pump for just the spa. The spa overflows into the pool. So, today I shut off the spa water with the red lever so I could clean out the filter. Well, I forgot to open the valve to the water back open. I then went back later to turn the spa on and it made a weird sound ( like it was dry and was grumbling). Then it just stopped. I shut the spa off at the controls and realized shortly after I forgot to open the water valve. Ooooops! So, I opened it back up and turned off the circuit breaker as a trouble shooting step. Nothing worked. Now, I turn on the spa and the pump does not come on. I am sure I broke it by turning it on with the bypass valve shut. How bad is this??? Did I blow the pump?

Thanks for your help!
    Robyn

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa pump wont come on after turned on with water valve s

Is the pump that's giving you problems the variable speed pump?
    Does it make any sound at all when you try to start it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

No, it's the pump for the spa (it runs the jets). No, it does not make any sound anymore.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're handy you should take the back cover off the motor and try turning it by hand or with a wrench. It should have some resistance but it should turn smoothly. Be sure the power is off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

What am I accomplishing by doing this? What am I looking for it to do?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can't turn it. It means that it's bound mechanically and you need to troubleshoot that part. If it turns smoothly, it means that it's not mechanical and you need to find the electrical problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

So, I checked the motor today and there is a black piece in the back of the motor.. I think it said shaft cover. I took it off and turn it and it turns smoothly. Is this what you were referring to or do I need to take off the back park of the motor still. I started to try that until the last screw would not come off and started to strip. So, I thought I would check here to see if the shaft was the one to turn before I messed with the backing too much more and cause myself more problems.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

As long as you're turning the shaft you did what needed doing. If it turned smoothly then there's something electrically wrong.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

So, how do I go about troubleshooting an electrical issue? Any ideas what it probably is? Can I just take it to a shop to have it re-built? Would that be the cheapest and easiest solution?

10. Back To Top    #10

If you're not handy with elelctrical your best bet is probably to take it to a shop and let them look at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator