Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Cleaning

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Cleaning

I went to clean my SWG so I turned off my filter and I proceeded to unscrew the SWG from the line. As soon as I did this, my kids started yelling that my pool (32K gallons) was filling up with smoke. Now I have what looks like DE clouded in my pool, and some really deep areas of it in the deep end and by the basket. What did I do wrong? I have the quad DE 100 from pentair, and I don't have it hooked to any backwash plumbing.

Advice appreciated...both how to clean it up and what to do next time.

20' x 40' Plaster with 9' deep end, appx. 32K gals, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Hayward SwimPure t-15, 1 skimmer, Polaris 93 Robot, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU, iAquaLink wireless controller.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: SWG Cleaning

My guess is that when you let air into the plumbing it allowed your filter to drain backwards into your pool through the pump and suction plumbing bringing DE with it. Closing a valve on the suction side would have prevented this.

For now just let the DE settle on the bottom and vacuum it back up into the filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.