Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

test kit

Hi!! its been awhile since i have had to post a question!! I am concerned that my TF-100 test kit may have gone bad, due to my hubby and/or kids leaving it outside in the heat!! And the crazy thing is, is that they don't even test the water!! Well, my daughter has gotten the hang of testing, but usually leaves that work up to me...lol!! Anyways.....I am testing my water right now and I haven't tested the CH in a long time on the account of having a vinyl pool, but just decided to test every aspect of the pool ( yes!!! i am actually bored!! ) Well, I followed the directions exactly testing the CH, but after I added the 5 drops of R-0011L, it is supposed to turn red if I have calcium, but it immediately turns blue!! I did the test twice, but just don't understand what happened. I have never had it turn straight to blue before. Is this wrong? Or what does this mean when it does not turn red first??
    Above Ground, Lomart Verona, 15'x52", 5800 gallons, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: test kit

Look at the bottle of the R-011. If it's discolored at all, the reagent is bad.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Look at the bottle of the R-011. If it's discolored at all, the reagent is bad.

Nope! its not discolored! so.....what does it mean if the test went straight to blue and not red at all?

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine goes straight to blue every time. It means that you have zero (or very near) CH in your pool. In Louisiana you probably get as much rain as we do here and it has zero CH. That, coupled with the fact that our ground water has almost zero CH, it isn't surprising that you don't have any.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

It finally turned red. I just got another sample a couple of hours later! I wonder if it was because I had got sidetracked and by the time I tested it the sample was a couple of hours old?!! O well!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Mine goes straight to blue every time. It means that you have zero (or very near) CH in your pool. In Louisiana you probably get as much rain as we do here and it has zero CH. That, coupled with the fact that our ground water has almost zero CH, it isn't surprising that you don't have any.

Yea u are right about the rain! We live on the coast here and today is actually the first day I see full sun!!! But I bet by the time the bus passes at 3, I will be standing with my umbrella waiting for my kid,getting drenched, only to watch her run straight to the house and bypass my kind motherly efforts to keep my baby dry! Heaven forbid her friends see her mama walk her with an umbrella!! Lol!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by stephlap4
    It finally turned red. I just got another sample a couple of hours later! I wonder if it was because I had got sidetracked and by the time I tested it the sample was a couple of hours old?!! O well!
    Not for Calcium no. For Chlorine yes, it needs to be ASAP.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem