Adding bleach in the morning...

Aug 11, 2013
Just curious what some of you do if you forget to add bleach in the evening given that adding it in direct sunlight causes it to disappear almost right away.

Is it a waste of time to add the necessary amount once the sun is up? Should I just wait til the sun is off the pool, re-test, add as needed and hope algae hasn't gotten a foothold?

giffman67 said:
Just curious what some of you do if you forget to add bleach in the evening given that adding it in direct sunlight causes it to disappear almost right away.

Is it a waste of time to add the necessary amount once the sun is up? Should I just wait til the sun is off the pool, re-test, add as needed and hope algae hasn't gotten a foothold?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't disappear instantly. I'd add it anyway and check again in the evening.

giffman67 said:
Is it a waste of time to add the necessary amount once the sun is up?
No, you just lost out on the benefits of having the full dose of the chlorine working for you all night. The next morning, I would dose FC up to the high end of the recommended range for your CYA. The earlier you add it, the better. You will at least get several hours of the full FC dose working for you before the midday sun starts consuming it. By dosing FC up to the high end of the range, it will give you some headroom for normal FC loss to sunlight during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.