Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding bleach in the morning...

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding bleach in the morning...

Just curious what some of you do if you forget to add bleach in the evening given that adding it in direct sunlight causes it to disappear almost right away.

Is it a waste of time to add the necessary amount once the sun is up? Should I just wait til the sun is off the pool, re-test, add as needed and hope algae hasn't gotten a foothold?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding bleach in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by giffman67
    Just curious what some of you do if you forget to add bleach in the evening given that adding it in direct sunlight causes it to disappear almost right away.

Is it a waste of time to add the necessary amount once the sun is up? Should I just wait til the sun is off the pool, re-test, add as needed and hope algae hasn't gotten a foothold?
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't disappear instantly. I'd add it anyway and check again in the evening.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It only disappears if you have no CYA.

If you miss a dose, add it as soon as you remember....morning midday or night.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by giffman67
    Is it a waste of time to add the necessary amount once the sun is up?
    No, you just lost out on the benefits of having the full dose of the chlorine working for you all night. The next morning, I would dose FC up to the high end of the recommended range for your CYA. The earlier you add it, the better. You will at least get several hours of the full FC dose working for you before the midday sun starts consuming it. By dosing FC up to the high end of the range, it will give you some headroom for normal FC loss to sunlight during the day.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

ok. Thanks.