CYA way to high, help!

Aug 25, 2013
Hi All,

M CYA has taken a massive increase over the past month. As the Texan heat set in my pool devoured the tablets and so did the stabilizer. To the best of my eye sight is around 80 so ill need to get new water in.

I there a thread that gives some guidance on how to drain pool? (Not how to take water out, but is there any more science to it?). It's really hot and sunny in Texas and I'm worried about my plaster.

My pool is just a year old so I'm really shocked I need to do this. I've started to rely more on liquid chlorine... I'd kill for pure chlorine tablets without the stabilizers...

Thanks!

You can drain in smaller increments if you like, but if you drain 1/3, your CYA should be about right.

If you want the pool level to remain stable, start a siphon from one end about 1 - 1.5 feet below the surface. Next refill from a hose at the opposite end on the bottom.

Adjust your refill water to match the flow of the siphon and your pool level will remain constant. Filling from the bottom and siphoning from the top will tend to keep the waste water and fill water seperate because of the temperature differential.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can drain in a series of small drain/refill cycles so you are not exposing a lot of plaster at once. A good target CYA for Texas is 40-50ppm. So you only need to drain 50% of the current volume to get to 40ppm. If you can work on this in the evenings when the sun is not as strong, or you can manage the pool with the CYA at 80 for now and drain and refill in the fall when temps are cooler.

Thanks all!

I think I'll just wait for cooler temps or a rainy day and use the main drains (love the siphon idea but cant do it without upsetting the neighbors!.. or a really really long hose).

I'll never buy Costco tablets again.. not sure if that was the cause but CYA just shot up!

Misplaced Texan said:
Thanks all!

I think I'll just wait for cooler temps or a rainy day and use the main drains (love the siphon idea but cant do it without upsetting the neighbors!.. or a really really long hose).

I'll never buy Costco tablets again.. not sure if that was the cause but CYA just shot up!
Doesn't matter where you buy trichlor tabs/pucks, they all have CYA :hammer:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.