Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA way to high, help!

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA way to high, help!

Hi All,

M CYA has taken a massive increase over the past month. As the Texan heat set in my pool devoured the tablets and so did the stabilizer. To the best of my eye sight is around 80 so ill need to get new water in.

I there a thread that gives some guidance on how to drain pool? (Not how to take water out, but is there any more science to it?). It's really hot and sunny in Texas and I'm worried about my plaster.

My pool is just a year old so I'm really shocked I need to do this. I've started to rely more on liquid chlorine... I'd kill for pure chlorine tablets without the stabilizers...

Thanks!
    13,000 ga inground pool/spa/fountain
    Pentair Intelliflo, booster for robot thingy, 1hp single speed for water features
    Inline chlorine feeder
    run on lowest possible flow to save energy but turn water once per day
    Pool built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA way to high, help!

You can drain in smaller increments if you like, but if you drain 1/3, your CYA should be about right.

If you want the pool level to remain stable, start a siphon from one end about 1 - 1.5 feet below the surface. Next refill from a hose at the opposite end on the bottom.

Adjust your refill water to match the flow of the siphon and your pool level will remain constant. Filling from the bottom and siphoning from the top will tend to keep the waste water and fill water seperate because of the temperature differential.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! You can drain in a series of small drain/refill cycles so you are not exposing a lot of plaster at once. A good target CYA for Texas is 40-50ppm. So you only need to drain 50% of the current volume to get to 40ppm. If you can work on this in the evenings when the sun is not as strong, or you can manage the pool with the CYA at 80 for now and drain and refill in the fall when temps are cooler.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Have your pool pump off while ding as duraleigh suggests.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all!

I think I'll just wait for cooler temps or a rainy day and use the main drains (love the siphon idea but cant do it without upsetting the neighbors!.. or a really really long hose).

I'll never buy Costco tablets again.. not sure if that was the cause but CYA just shot up!
    13,000 ga inground pool/spa/fountain
    Pentair Intelliflo, booster for robot thingy, 1hp single speed for water features
    Inline chlorine feeder
    run on lowest possible flow to save energy but turn water once per day
    Pool built 2012

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Misplaced Texan
    Thanks all!

I think I'll just wait for cooler temps or a rainy day and use the main drains (love the siphon idea but cant do it without upsetting the neighbors!.. or a really really long hose).

I'll never buy Costco tablets again.. not sure if that was the cause but CYA just shot up!
    Doesn't matter where you buy trichlor tabs/pucks, they all have CYA

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!