Plumbing work around, 1.5" instead of 2"

BQ

Jul 15, 2013
The liner I'm going with will go best with black fixtures, ie skimmer and return jets.
Since the pool will be over 40,000 gallons, is there a way to accomplish effective filtering with 1.5" piping?
Do I just need to add another skimmer and/or returns to accomplish more volume?

Any help would be appreciated.

BQ

It'll work like that. I would add one more skimmer, if it was my pool.

I would also connect 2" pipe to all skimmers using a reducer bushing if your skimmer is 1.5".

There are an infinite number of ways to increase/restrict your flow but the trade between 2" and 1.5" suction pipe is pretty cheap and reasonably effective.

1.5" going to the returns is fine.

I have a 43k pool with no bottom drain and I am glad I never put it in. Personal choice, though.

The big problem with 1.5 inch pipe is not the momentary restriction at the return fitting or skimmer, but the accumulated friction loss down the length of the pipe, so you do gain a fair amount just by plumbing the runs with 2 inch, also will your planned layout home run all the pipes or will a single return pipe be plumbed to multiple return fittings. (same goes for skimmers and drains).

Ike

duraleigh said:
It'll work like that. I would add one more skimmer, if it was my pool.

I would also connect 2" pipe to all skimmers using a reducer bushing if your skimmer is 1.5".

There are an infinite number of ways to increase/restrict your flow but the trade between 2" and 1.5" suction pipe is pretty cheap and reasonably effective.

1.5" going to the returns is fine.

I have a 43k pool with no bottom drain and I am glad I never put it in. Personal choice, though.
Thanks Dave. So use 2" piping from floor drains and skimmers back to the pump. From filter side back to pool, 1.5 is ok?
Isaac,
All plumbing are single runs back to equipment pad. All returns, I hope will be done the same way. I'll verify that for construction time.

Yes, that sounds good to me.

mas985 is a terrific systems guy when it comes to efficient flow. I am pulling this off the top of my head so let's see if he has better input than mine.

Waterway makes black 2" skimmers:Skimmer Catalog

There is so little cost difference between 2" and 1.5", there really is no good reason to go with 1.5" plumbing anywhere. Also, it is much easier to clog a 1.5" pipe than a 2" pipe which is a better choice for the suction side plumbing. 2.5" is even better. :wink:

Plus, I would use home runs (i.e. separate lines to/from equipment) for each main drain pair and skimmer. With a single suction line, you will not be able to isolate the suction ports if needed. Also, to minimize the chance of the pump drawing in air, you want much lower head loss on the suction side of the pump than the return side. If you do go with a single suction line, I would not use anything less than 2.5" plumbing.

If you choose a single return line, then I would not go smaller than 2" plumbing. If you have more than 1 return line, 1.5" plumbing would be ok but again, there is really no good reason to use it.

Also, I agree with Dave about the MD. They aren't really necessary as is described in this report: Pools Witout Main drains

But you may want deep end returns if you have a deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Mark.
Is there someone that does plumbing drawings without a floor/main drain for a builder to follow? I would love to skip a floor drain, especially after reading the link above, but I know the PB's are going to look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask them to do this. So a drawing of my requests with sizes of pipe would make it easy for them to follow.

How deep will your pool be?

You can also use a wall port instead of a main drain. Sometimes a skimmer is plumbed to l use these as vacuum release port should the skimmer get clogged. However, they can be put at any depth so you if you put them deep enough and set the float valves appropriately, you can get at least some circulation through those ports as well. Double duty.

skimmer_5.gif

Another option is to plumb deep returns. You really should only need 1 of those since a return circulates water pretty well. This completely eliminates any possibility of entrapment and I believe it is much better for circulation than a deep suction port.

The main advantage for both methods is that there is no plumbing under the pool so should something break, it is much easier to fix.

As for a drawing, unfortunately, I don't have any. But if your PB gives you any trouble, print out the paper that I posted earlier and give it to him to read. Also ask he if he is a member of the APSP. :cool:

My pool also does not have a main drain, and I have experienced issue with cool water pooling in the deep end in the past, I now have a venturi jetted return pointed down in the deep end, plus am using a robotic pool cleaner which helps stir the water which seems to keep the pooling problem under control.

I suspect one reason you are getting push back re the deep pool is because their engineer will charge them more for the pool plans because it is a deeper pool. Pools that deep are not standard in the industry and often can't use the standard structural drawings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.