Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Pool Startup

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand New Pool Startup

Hi - I have PebbleSheen going in tomorrow (Monday), acid wash Tuesday, with fill immediately thereafter. I have read through the Pool School and forum and have the TF-100 test kit.

My fill water is:
    TC 1.0
    FC 0.5
    CC 0.5
    Ph 7.5
    TA 200
    CH 180
    CYA 0

My understanding is upon filling to address the chemicals in this order: Ph, CYA, FC

1) Since my Ph is ok, nothing to do except monitor (If it drops I will aerate to try to lower TA some)
    2) Add stabilizer - Pool Calc for my 12k gallon pool recommends 48 oz granules, or 125 oz liquid - solid added using nylon, ok to pour liquid into skimmer
    3) Add bleach - Pool Calc recommends 81oz of 8.25% bleach - add through skimmer

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms, or corrections are appreciated!
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Brand New Pool Startup

Excellent!

You have everything correct.

Chlorine introduced through the skimmer is OK but really should be done very slowly so your equipment doesn't get a big dose. Pouring it in front of an active return will allow you to introduce it quicker and it disperses throughout the pool very fast....like 30 minutes.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Dave - Yes, I was going through one of the threads after my post and noticed that error. Thanks for pointing it out and for the reply! John
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

Since TA is 200, how long do you wait until you address it?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Since TA is 200, how long do you wait until you address it?
    The pH will almost always rise naturally.....especially in a newly plastered pool. When you drive pH back down with muriatic acid, it will also lower the TA.

So, as long as OP is not seeing his pH spiking too often, I would simply leave TA alone and let it drift down into range somewhat on it's own but with some help from the anticipated muriatic additions.

It is certainly acceptable to lower it immediately using the process described in Pool School, but that probably isn't necessary in this case.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. We are building a pool and I am in process of planning pool start up and we supposedly have water that is high in PH. This helps.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Telnet64
    Any thoughts, comments, criticisms, or corrections are appreciated!
    Yep, I have some.

Welcome to TFP first off and a hat's off to you for jumping in a educating yourself. Love seeing that. You're off to a fine start and it looks like it will come easy for you. PebbleTec and your builder may have startup procedures you have to adhere too for warranty issues, so make sure you are squared up on that.

Most importantly, we love seeing pics of your new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup

What he said. This is where you should imagine a cute gif that says "this thread is worthless without pictures." Ha!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by KenGood
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup

What he said. This is where you should imagine a cute gif that says "this thread is worthless without pictures." Ha!
    Ken ought to know...he may have more pics in a build thread than I've ever seen here. The amount he has posted so far is just about the perfect amount.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the comments and I will get some pics to post.

As a follow up question, I am considering using liquid stabilizer, but this is all I can find locally:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... nditioner/

In the pool calculator, do I enter this as liquid stabilizer to determine how much to add?

Thanks again!

11. Back To Top    #11

In Austin, you can easily find some at Walmart or Hardware stores that have pool products. At Walmart, it is HtH stabilizer/conditioner. It will be a 4lb container of 99% Cyanuric acid. In granular form.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks, I have granules. For my startup I'm using liquid and the only liquid I could find is the "Instant Pool Water Conditioner" and I'm trying to figure out how much to add, since it's not explicitly in the Pool Calculator. There are some threads that mention it's ok to use this to add CYA, but I haven't seen the dosage issue addressed.

13. Back To Top    #13

Liquid Stabilizer is listed in the pool calc. In fact it's in the CYA section so you don't even have to use the "Effects of Adding Chems" section.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

In the second line of the CYA box on the Pool Calculator page it gives you the amount of liquid stabilizer to add. Those are oz. by volume.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks, I wasn't sure that this product was the same as "Liquid Stabilizer". In reading other threads, itis similar, but not as acidic. I appreciate your clarifications.

16. Back To Top    #16

That's it.
    Just curious why you want to go to the trouble of finding liquid.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

17. Back To Top    #17

I have a child with a disability and it's preferable to get it in immediately vs trying to keep a sock hanging for a week.

18. Back To Top    #18

Hi, the startup has been going well, been adding about 4-6 cups of 8.25% bleach per day. Also, pH has been drifting up to 7.8 - 8.0, so been adding MA per the calculator.

Today I am at:

FC - 2.5 (before adding bleach)
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.4
    TA - 80/90, this has been lower than I expected.

I think I've read that the new plaster will push the pH up for a while. Is there a preference between Borax and Baking Soda to increase pH? I've read posts various posts about people using both, but also read something about not using Borax on new plaster.

Thanks for any assistance!

19. Back To Top    #19

Any pH increase from bleach is very temporary. Don't use Baking Soda to raise pH. It increases TA with raising pH much at all. Let the pH increase on it's own so your pool can reach equilibrium. Adjust down when it hits 7.8 by using MA.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks, so 20 Mule Team Borax preferred to raise pH?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast