Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What I have learned in 1 1/2 years at Trouble Free Pools

1. Back To Top    #1

What I have learned in 1 1/2 years at Trouble Free Pools

I first joined TFP about two years ago. We bought a house with a pool (my first). I never really got a good vibe from the pool store "experts" and set about to learn on my own. Google brought me to TFP.

I thought it might be a good time to share a few things with new (and existing) members of TFP. I see new members struggling with the same issues I dealt with when first joining. I beat my head against the wall due to stubbornness before I learned. This is a testimony and advise to new members.

What I have learned in 1 1/2 years at Trouble Free Pools

1) There is absolutely no substitute for understanding what you are doing. Knowledge is power. TFP is not about learning how much chemical to dumb into your pool. TFP is about knowledge and controlling the chemistry of your pool. I am still a novice. Every time I think am smart on pool issues, I go to the Deep End and read posts from Chem Geek. Try it, it's humbling My point here is that the learning never stops. I find myself constantly coming back research or re-read sections of the web site. It is the bible of pool care.

2) There are NO short cuts. Owning a pool takes work. It requires carving out the time to test and maintain your pool chemistry. After awhile, you find that what you think is extra work (testing etc) is far and away less time than it takes to Shock or re balance if things get off kilter. Cheaper too! Put the work in. It will be worth it.

3) Stop agonizing over spending money on a good test kit and JUST BUY IT! I resisted for a small time. I look back on how stupid that was. If you don't do your own pool testing two things will happen. First, most pool stores will lead you around by the nose and cost you more money in chemicals in the long run. Second, you can react to chemistry problems much sooner because you are testing more often.

4) I struggled with Pucks versus liquid Chlorine debate. I went the chlorine route and never looked back. It is the K.I.S.S. principle in action. Many folks here at TFP use pucks with success. That is great. But if you are new to TFP, go with liquid Chlorine for awhile until your knowledge base increases.

5) Swimming in crystal clear water is pretty freakin' awesome. In two years, I have only gone through the shock process once (when I first started). My friends and co-worked call me a liar when I tell them I've never had to scrub algae off the wall of my pool. Likewise, the can't understand how my pool looks so good without "dumping shock in" every once in awhile. I shake my head, laugh and run home to my crystal blue oasis....they go to the pool store for more "shock". Hey....some men you just can't reach....

6) Donate so we can continue to have this wonderful site. I was only on TFP a couple of weeks before making a donation to become a lifetime member. I plan on contributing yearly as well.

Hope this contributes in some way

Cheers,
    Todd
    ~18.5K gallon plaster - two level / spa to pool waterfall
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-28 Pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Filter
    Hayward Pool Vac Ultra Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What I have learned in 1 1/2 years at Trouble Free Pools

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Congrats on the knowledge you have gained !!!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

That is all sound advice that I wish every new member would read. Congrats and thanks!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

tlhwxman:

Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by tlhwxman
    3) Stop agonizing over spending money on a good test kit and JUST BUY IT!
    This is my favorite!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Same way here, the only change I would make is to move some of the numbers around
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

tlhwxman , Excellent post!

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes indeed, a most excellent post! Glad you found TFP, and good to have you here.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem