Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Please! pump is down

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Please! pump is down

I wasn't home when the pool guy came but when I came home there is a note on my door that the pump motor or capacitor is out. I went back to try to turn the pump on and nothing! Figures it would have to happen on a Saturday night. What am I going to do now?
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Please! pump is down

First step...relax. Your pool will not turn green overnight.

Here is a great case study of a member who was without power for about a week and a half: Newbie trying to avoid a problem. Maintained a clear pool throughout this period which included several storms and temps over 100F. Chock full of simple yet effective solutions.

The most important thing is to keep maintaining the proper FC throughout this period. This plays the starring role in maintaining clear water. Swim around to stir the water up. May also have to manually churn the water with a brush or similar implement. But you and your pool can get through this.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks Bo, I was in panic mode for a minute but I am calmed down now. Thank God for this Forum and YouTube. Ive learned that the Capacitor is easy to replace and if it is a bearing in the motor I am most likeley capable of replacing that as well...
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wont be able to do anything until tomorrow anyway it is raining pretty hard outside right now.
    My pool:

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you checked/reset the breaker?
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok problem solved for now. It was the capacitor. Since it is Sunday and no parts are available I took the one off the motor for the spa jets. That'll have to work until tomorrow when I can hopefully find a capacitor. I called Leslie's and they don't sell parts?
    My pool: