Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing after days of rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing after days of rain?

I am from the New Orleans area and like most summers it has been raining really heavy every day for about the last week. This is making testing hard as for now I only have test trips (but just ordered a TF 100 based on recommendation from another thread). Since the top of the pool is largely just rain water at this point, I have been trying to fill a bottle from water lower in the pool, but after doing this at two different stores I got two really different readings which makes me think the water being tested was only partially mixed with chemicals at that point.

So I guess my question is how to reliably test pool during periods (days) of heavy rain? It will be easier when I can test better at home to do it multiple times, but this seems pretty ad-hoc and I imaigne I will automatically favor the results taht look better...
    Pool Info: 15,000 gallons, In Ground Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing after days of rain?

With the pump running rain makes little to no difference on pool testing. The different test results weren't due to the rain, rather due to poor store testing. A sample taken to two stores from an indoor pool can get the same errors.

Your own testing will cut this issue down. The results will be very close, and you'll find that rain doesn't have a huge effect on pool water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Testing after days of rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    With the pump running rain makes little to no difference on pool testing. The different test results weren't due to the rain, rather due to poor store testing. A sample taken to two stores from an indoor pool can get the same errors.

Your own testing will cut this issue down. The results will be very close, and you'll find that rain doesn't have a huge effect on pool water.
    This^^. I purposely divert rain from my roof into my pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry