Spa emptying into pool after pump shuts off?

JT2006

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Southwest Arizona (Yuma)
I am trying to figure out why my spa keeps emptying back into my pool when the pumps not running?

I run the pump at night from about midnight until 7:00am and by 1:00 or 2:00pm I come out and my spa is half empty?

Is there a check valve somewhere that may be bad? The spa is raised about 14inches above the pool so I was thinking there has to be something to prevent the water from backflowing into the pool?

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks.

Bama Rambler said:
It's usually located at the pad. If you can post a picture we can probably locate it.

Here are some picks of my Pumps/Filter/Plumbing etc...

Im suspecting the problem may be this thing I've pointed to with the red arrow. Looks suspiciously like a check valve too me?? But I could be wrong.

Attachments

• Pump Filter2.JPG
    Pump Filter2.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Pump Filter.JPG
    Pump Filter.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 105
  • Check Valve.jpeg
    Check Valve.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 105
Sorry I missed this. Yeah, that's the check valve, as you've discovered. You can rebuild those so you don't have to replace it. I would first take the top off it and see if there's just something stuck in it, before ordering a rebuild kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well I got this problem fixed (Finally) I had to order the part from PoolSupplyWorld.com since my local pool parts store apparently has a rip people off policy :grrrr: I went back in a second time to try to just buy the cap and valve assembly. And they would not sell it too me... they had a "Tech" come out and try to tell me that if I didn't replace the whole valve assembly I would have "Problems" with it?? :blah: I very politely told him to pack sand. and I went home and ordered the part I needed. I hate people that do business this way and treat customers like they are idiots :rant: Thank God for this forum and all the great people that are here to give advice :goodjob:

rtay59 said:
I had the same problem and replaced the check valve flapper assembly. Got up this morning and the water had drained again. :(
Any suggestions? I double checked and the check valve is in the right direction.

I read another thread here in which someone had the same problem but I can't remember what the issue was? I will see if I can find it. I know when I replaced mine I had to clean out the the inside of the valve housing where valve (flapper) seats. There was old plastic and rubber around the edges from the old flapper. I used a small wire brush then very gently used a wire wheel on my cordless drill to smooth it out just to ensure the valve would seat correctly.

If this doesnt solve it you may want to post up pics of your equipment pad. People here are very helpful and can help you diagnose the problem.

Good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.