Can I use Baking Soda with Pool RX

Aug 24, 2013
Apple Valley, CA
I had put an Pool RX, and have finally gotten rid of my algee. Now my TA is very low (I think below about 30, test strip only starts at 40 and still yellow, 40 is gold), and the pH is very low assuming below 6.8 as the test strips dont change color stay yellow (first 6.8 is orange on the chart). My total hardness is on the max side. chlorine is okay.

14.5K gal, 15.5 x 39 ft, Sport bottom Fiberglass, SWG, Zodiac baracuda, 240 sq ft cartridge filter,

I took out the Pool Rx for now (as been in for 4 months)

I have a large bag of Backing Soda (Brand name) and it says to raise the if the TA is 20 to use 12 lbs per 10,000 gal, TA is 40 use 9 lbs per 10,000 gallons. I used 1 box (1 half per day, 2 days) of 20 mule team Borax, and it didn't seem to do much of anything for the TA or PH

I was reading one one website that I shouldn't use Borax or Baking soda to raise the TA and Ph with a Silver/Copper/Mineral (Pool Rx). is this the case?

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Using test strips isn't giving you good results, but you can use the baking soda to raise the TA. Don't use the label instructions, go to the pool calculator and input your numbers and go by that.
Don't add all that it tells you to at once. Add half then test in an hour and enter the new reading in the swg pool calculator and add half that amount. Doing it slowly like that, prevents you overshooting it.

You should seriously consider getting a good test kit and not ever using the minerals again. They cause way more problems than they solve.

It's not that any particular chemical is incompatible with the metal ions that these mineral systems use, but rather that high pH can cause the metals to precipitate and stain. The use of metal ions is unnecessary and you could have gotten rid of your algae by using chlorine alone had you come here first and followed the methods taught in the Pool School. Now you have a pool with copper and silver that can cause blond hair to turn greenish and stain plaster (and other) pool surfaces if you don't carefully measure and control both the metal ion levels and the pH.

I put the rx in and it didn't do really anything I had 2 floaters with tabs, putting tabs in the skimmer and 6 gallons of liquid, then about 20 pounds of granulated (99 percent). over 3 or 4 days. also, my salt was low so I am not sure the cell is not damaged. the control box shows everything is working and I am see the chlorine levels low, butt within range. stilll trying to vacuum up all the dead algee, my filter goes from 18 to 28 lbs in about 2 1/2 hours just thru the skimmer and lower inlet. If I run the barracuda it fills the filter in about 20 min., I think all of that is gone.

So I will use the calculator SWG, where is it located on the site?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.