howdy/happy customer

Aug 24, 2013
camas wa
Hope this intro does not put you to sleep. I hope it may help someone in my situation.

I installed my 23,000 gal 28' round above ground with deep end pool and concrete deck in 2001. solar pipes in the concrete . Had a 1-1/2HP HAYWARD PUMP, 21" SAND FILTER. This all worked great till I started to developed a real bad algae problem.

We here in the Pacific nw get a small window to use our pools. couple of years I didn't even bother to open it up. Last two years I tried to kill the algae and clean it up. Last year I tried the bbb method. Could not get the milky white out before the end of the season. My big mistake was not raising up the chlorine level high enough. I kept hitting it with too little bleach. Kept chasing my tail. So this year I learned a whole lot more on this forum, and poolplaza.com.

I learned about over powered pumps. I discovered that a 1-1/2 hp pump is just too big. I was just pushing the dead algae thru the sand and re entering the pool turning it milky white. I also discovered I had a small air leak in my pump. The one important thing I learned is that 1-1/2 inch pipe can only push around 44gpm thru the pipe, so a 1-1/2hp pump was a waste of electricity.

Its funny I called around to some local pool stores to price pumps and get info they all said that a 1-1/2hp pump was just fine. I made the choice to buy my pump from poolplaza after their help. I bought a 1hp 2 speed pump. I use the high speed to run the solar water heater and to backwash. I filter on low speed. After installing the new pump and running it 24 hours it clean up in two days.

I also used robar super blue. now my water is perfect. The chemistry is also spot on. I give credit to this web site for my success. :-D I really enjoy taking care of my pool now. I get a great satisfaction in really understanding water chemistry and knowing I can solve the problems on my own and not having to drive 30 minutes to the pool store to fix my problems.

I buy 8% bleach for 3 bucks a gallon at winco. I use borax and baking soda just like I learned here. I have to give credit to my pool store , care free in portland ore. In the past they would test water the old fashion way and never push me to buy anything. I buy my sunblock from them and other things.

At first all this water chemistry stuff baffled me , the first year I just didn't get it. This year it just clicked and now I get it. I think for me it was the sunblock level and not understanding it that got me into trouble.

So anyone that's new at this like me two years ago , UNDERSTAND the cyanuric acid level issues before any thing else . And balancing and understanding the PH/alkalinity. This forum has every thing you need to know. Now I am having solar cover issues. Anyone have good advice on a quality solar cover? Thanks TT

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

camastown said:
I learned about over powered pumps...I discovered that a 1-1/2 hp pump is just too big. I was just pushing the dead algae thru the sand and re entering the pool turning it milky white.
Yep, this can happen if your pump is oversized.

camastown said:
I bought a 1hp 2 speed pump. I use the high speed to run the solar water heater and to backwash. I filter on low speed. After installing the new pump and running it 24 hours it clean up in two days.
Good choice on getting a 2-speed pump. :goodjob: The way you are running it sound like a good plan. You've noticed what many others have...you tend to get better filtration running on low speed vs. high speed.

camastown said:
I give credit to this web site for my success. :-D I really enjoy taking care of my pool now. I get a great satisfaction in really understanding water chemistry and knowing I can solve the problems on my own and not having to drive 30 minutes to the pool store to fix my problems.
Liberating, isn't it! :party: This is what BBB is really all about.

I also learned on this forum that its better to run a the lower hp pump and have a bigger sand filter. So I feel I have a pretty darn good set up now with the 2 speed pump and the 21"sand filter. I even have better results vacuuming the pool now.

I can start up the pump and insert the hose into the strainer without sucking a bunch of air into the pump. I am surprised that I can vacuum on the low speed . I tried it on the normal speed but as soon as I suck the dirt up I can see the dirt coming out of the inlet. I run the Hayward power- flo matrix pump. $279.00 with free shipping and handling .

My next thing I will need to learn is how to winterize the pool. When I first install the pool in 2001 I had real good luck the process . I would open the pool in june and it looked clear. I'm not sure what my pool store sold me but it worked real well. There must be a bbb method I just have not checked it out yet.

I forgot to mention about the test kit. I bought the one recommended by this forum. This is a very important piece to this whole puzzle. I check things every day and just add the bleach I need. I thought I was going to miss my automatic chlorine feeder. It is just so simple to crack open that 1/2 gallon jug of bleach and dump it in.

Now that I got this whole thing down pretty good I will save so much money in pool chemicals and time and gas going to the pool store. I was in my pool store the other day buying some super blue and watched a guy walk in the store with that big bottle of sample water and just had to chuckle. One funny look I get is when I go into the winco store to buy bleach. I have the cart stuffed to the top with bleach , I get the funniest looks. People must think I'm cooking meth. Also when I tell other pool owners I use bleach they think I'm nuts.

I really want to thank everyone that work so hard to keep this forum going and all the free info. You guys are awesome :cool: