Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: howdy/happy customer

1. Back To Top    #1

howdy/happy customer

Hope this intro does not put you to sleep. I hope it may help someone in my situation.

I installed my 23,000 gal 28' round above ground with deep end pool and concrete deck in 2001. solar pipes in the concrete . Had a 1-1/2HP HAYWARD PUMP, 21" SAND FILTER. This all worked great till I started to developed a real bad algae problem.

We here in the Pacific nw get a small window to use our pools. couple of years I didn't even bother to open it up. Last two years I tried to kill the algae and clean it up. Last year I tried the bbb method. Could not get the milky white out before the end of the season. My big mistake was not raising up the chlorine level high enough. I kept hitting it with too little bleach. Kept chasing my tail. So this year I learned a whole lot more on this forum, and poolplaza.com.

I learned about over powered pumps. I discovered that a 1-1/2 hp pump is just too big. I was just pushing the dead algae thru the sand and re entering the pool turning it milky white. I also discovered I had a small air leak in my pump. The one important thing I learned is that 1-1/2 inch pipe can only push around 44gpm thru the pipe, so a 1-1/2hp pump was a waste of electricity.

Its funny I called around to some local pool stores to price pumps and get info they all said that a 1-1/2hp pump was just fine. I made the choice to buy my pump from poolplaza after their help. I bought a 1hp 2 speed pump. I use the high speed to run the solar water heater and to backwash. I filter on low speed. After installing the new pump and running it 24 hours it clean up in two days.

I also used robar super blue. now my water is perfect. The chemistry is also spot on. I give credit to this web site for my success. I really enjoy taking care of my pool now. I get a great satisfaction in really understanding water chemistry and knowing I can solve the problems on my own and not having to drive 30 minutes to the pool store to fix my problems.

I buy 8% bleach for 3 bucks a gallon at winco. I use borax and baking soda just like I learned here. I have to give credit to my pool store , care free in portland ore. In the past they would test water the old fashion way and never push me to buy anything. I buy my sunblock from them and other things.

At first all this water chemistry stuff baffled me , the first year I just didn't get it. This year it just clicked and now I get it. I think for me it was the sunblock level and not understanding it that got me into trouble.

So anyone that's new at this like me two years ago , UNDERSTAND the cyanuric acid level issues before any thing else . And balancing and understanding the PH/alkalinity. This forum has every thing you need to know. Now I am having solar cover issues. Anyone have good advice on a quality solar cover? Thanks TT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: howdy/happy customer

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by camastown
    I learned about over powered pumps...I discovered that a 1-1/2 hp pump is just too big. I was just pushing the dead algae thru the sand and re entering the pool turning it milky white.
    Yep, this can happen if your pump is oversized.

I bought a 1hp 2 speed pump. I use the high speed to run the solar water heater and to backwash. I filter on low speed. After installing the new pump and running it 24 hours it clean up in two days.
    Good choice on getting a 2-speed pump. The way you are running it sound like a good plan. You've noticed what many others have...you tend to get better filtration running on low speed vs. high speed.

I give credit to this web site for my success. I really enjoy taking care of my pool now. I get a great satisfaction in really understanding water chemistry and knowing I can solve the problems on my own and not having to drive 30 minutes to the pool store to fix my problems.
    Liberating, isn't it! This is what BBB is really all about.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I also learned on this forum that its better to run a the lower hp pump and have a bigger sand filter. So I feel I have a pretty darn good set up now with the 2 speed pump and the 21"sand filter. I even have better results vacuuming the pool now.

I can start up the pump and insert the hose into the strainer without sucking a bunch of air into the pump. I am surprised that I can vacuum on the low speed . I tried it on the normal speed but as soon as I suck the dirt up I can see the dirt coming out of the inlet. I run the Hayward power- flo matrix pump. $279.00 with free shipping and handling .

My next thing I will need to learn is how to winterize the pool. When I first install the pool in 2001 I had real good luck the process . I would open the pool in june and it looked clear. I'm not sure what my pool store sold me but it worked real well. There must be a bbb method I just have not checked it out yet.

I forgot to mention about the test kit. I bought the one recommended by this forum. This is a very important piece to this whole puzzle. I check things every day and just add the bleach I need. I thought I was going to miss my automatic chlorine feeder. It is just so simple to crack open that 1/2 gallon jug of bleach and dump it in.

Now that I got this whole thing down pretty good I will save so much money in pool chemicals and time and gas going to the pool store. I was in my pool store the other day buying some super blue and watched a guy walk in the store with that big bottle of sample water and just had to chuckle. One funny look I get is when I go into the winco store to buy bleach. I have the cart stuffed to the top with bleach , I get the funniest looks. People must think I'm cooking meth. Also when I tell other pool owners I use bleach they think I'm nuts.

I really want to thank everyone that work so hard to keep this forum going and all the free info. You guys are awesome

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP camastown!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.