plumbing help - i have to replace pump motor

May 1, 2011
hey guys, my 2 yr old hayward pump motor is real noisy, probably bearings. praise for hayward, its over the warranty but i called them and 3 days later i got a new motor and seals no charge. thats great customer service.

anyway, i have never been real sure how the main drain and skimmer valves function. i am probably going to remove the pump and work on it on my workbench to make life easier. i assume i need to close off the valves for skimmer and drain and i am not sure which direction they should point to be off.

NOTE*** my equipment is lower than my pool, picture showing that. any concerns here as long as valves are off?

never had to prime a pump either, is that a real pain?

If you put your hand on the valve handle with your thumb on the center/pivot point, your thumb is pointing to the part that's closed off. In your photos nothing is closed off. Also, if you look closely there is a section of the handle that shows what is closed off. "Off" is stamped in the plastic.
As for priming your pump, if it's below the water level it may self prime. If not, just pour some water in the pump basket.

thanks guys. i am not sure i understand the valve. so i looked at the 2 valves and i see the "off" on the handles. the valves have stamped on them "IN". so if you consider the valves to have 4 positions (up, down, left, right) the one on the left has "IN" at the bottom, the one on the right has "IN" on the left. so would it be correct to have the "off" on the handle pointed at the "in" position on the valve?

hayward did not ask for the old pump back! i figure i will keep it and if ever needed will put new seals and bearings in it.

On the 2 valves you show porting water into the pump, rotate the handles so that the "OFF" marking is up at the 12 o'clock position.

You could try this: Turn the pump motor off and remove the lid from the pump basket. Water should continue to pour into the pump basket because your pump is below your pool water level. Then, turn each valve handle until the water stops flowing.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.