Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: plumbing help - i have to replace pump motor

1. Back To Top    #1

plumbing help - i have to replace pump motor

hey guys, my 2 yr old hayward pump motor is real noisy, probably bearings. praise for hayward, its over the warranty but i called them and 3 days later i got a new motor and seals no charge. thats great customer service.

anyway, i have never been real sure how the main drain and skimmer valves function. i am probably going to remove the pump and work on it on my workbench to make life easier. i assume i need to close off the valves for skimmer and drain and i am not sure which direction they should point to be off.

NOTE*** my equipment is lower than my pool, picture showing that. any concerns here as long as valves are off?

never had to prime a pump either, is that a real pain?

20x40 Inground Vinyl Liner, Hayward Aqua Plus System, Hayward 40K Salt Cell, Jandy 36" Sand Filter, Hayward Northstar 1.5HP 2spd pump, 3/4HP Booster with Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: plumbing help - i have to replace pump motor

If you put your hand on the valve handle with your thumb on the center/pivot point, your thumb is pointing to the part that's closed off. In your photos nothing is closed off. Also, if you look closely there is a section of the handle that shows what is closed off. "Off" is stamped in the plastic.
    As for priming your pump, if it's below the water level it may self prime. If not, just pour some water in the pump basket.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know 3 way valves, so I'll let someone else answer how to position them. Once the valves are off, yes, no worry about water running out.

Since your setup is below the pool, priming just happens due to gravity.

Did hayward make you send in the old pump?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks guys. i am not sure i understand the valve. so i looked at the 2 valves and i see the "off" on the handles. the valves have stamped on them "IN". so if you consider the valves to have 4 positions (up, down, left, right) the one on the left has "IN" at the bottom, the one on the right has "IN" on the left. so would it be correct to have the "off" on the handle pointed at the "in" position on the valve?

hayward did not ask for the old pump back! i figure i will keep it and if ever needed will put new seals and bearings in it.
    20x40 Inground Vinyl Liner, Hayward Aqua Plus System, Hayward 40K Salt Cell, Jandy 36" Sand Filter, Hayward Northstar 1.5HP 2spd pump, 3/4HP Booster with Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't worry about the "in". So long as the "off" points to the pipe that leads to your pump, that should keep water from going to your pump.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

6. Back To Top    #6

On the 2 valves you show porting water into the pump, rotate the handles so that the "OFF" marking is up at the 12 o'clock position.

You could try this: Turn the pump motor off and remove the lid from the pump basket. Water should continue to pour into the pump basket because your pump is below your pool water level. Then, turn each valve handle until the water stops flowing.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ctfortner
    i figure i will keep it and if ever needed will put new seals and bearings in it.
    Amen brother, I hoped you would say that!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

pool pump motor swapped today! man she is purrin like a kitten. can barely hear it now! thanks for the info guys/gals