I got bit by midwest temps going up

spidey07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
Time to SLAM! I've consistently maintained FC of 7-8 for my CYA of 40 using pucks. I had a leak that I fixed and tested CYA again to learn it was 25 last weekend. So I added 1.5 quart by volume to raise CYA to 50 which my pool seems to like given all day sun. Last night I measured FC at 5 and for the first time in a long time measured CC less than .5. I never have any CC, sample never turns pink.

This evenings results, and this is to illustrate how fast it can happen?!
FC 4
CC 1.0
CYA 55, maybe 60. I measured indoors with a flashlight

So what happened? I let FC get close and possibly below minimum and more sun/heat. I got complacent. The first indication should have been the presence of CC which I never have in my pool.

This is the first time I have had to SLAM outside of opening/closing so I blame myself. But hopefully others can learn to test frequently and if something changes in results, act quick. Thankfully I can act on this fast and should be OK. Nip it in the bud.

I would re-test your CYA. That's not the way to do the test. It's recommended that you do the test outside in full sun with your back to the sun to create a shadow. You'll want to be as accurate as possible with the CYA level to know your SLAM FC level.

pwrstrk said:
I would re-test your CYA. That's not the way to do the test. It's recommended that you do the test outside in full sun with your back to the sun to create a shadow. You'll want to be as accurate as possible with the CYA level to know your SLAM FC level.

I understand. The CYA level of 25 was performed outside, back to sun and I trust that. My CYA addition also lines up with expected results.

The reason I tested the CYA after this weeks addition indoors (not right I know) is I need to SLAM now and nip it in the bud.

I will test CYA properly tomorrow with proper lighting. But this weekend is one of the best "pool weekends" we've seen all season.

Nip It In The Bud.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.