Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I got bit by midwest temps going up

1. Back To Top    #1

I got bit by midwest temps going up

Time to SLAM! I've consistently maintained FC of 7-8 for my CYA of 40 using pucks. I had a leak that I fixed and tested CYA again to learn it was 25 last weekend. So I added 1.5 quart by volume to raise CYA to 50 which my pool seems to like given all day sun. Last night I measured FC at 5 and for the first time in a long time measured CC less than .5. I never have any CC, sample never turns pink.

This evenings results, and this is to illustrate how fast it can happen?!
    FC 4
    CC 1.0
    CYA 55, maybe 60. I measured indoors with a flashlight

So what happened? I let FC get close and possibly below minimum and more sun/heat. I got complacent. The first indication should have been the presence of CC which I never have in my pool.

This is the first time I have had to SLAM outside of opening/closing so I blame myself. But hopefully others can learn to test frequently and if something changes in results, act quick. Thankfully I can act on this fast and should be OK. Nip it in the bud.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I got bit by midwest temps going up

I would re-test your CYA. That's not the way to do the test. It's recommended that you do the test outside in full sun with your back to the sun to create a shadow. You'll want to be as accurate as possible with the CYA level to know your SLAM FC level.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    I would re-test your CYA. That's not the way to do the test. It's recommended that you do the test outside in full sun with your back to the sun to create a shadow. You'll want to be as accurate as possible with the CYA level to know your SLAM FC level.
    I understand. The CYA level of 25 was performed outside, back to sun and I trust that. My CYA addition also lines up with expected results.

The reason I tested the CYA after this weeks addition indoors (not right I know) is I need to SLAM now and nip it in the bud.

I will test CYA properly tomorrow with proper lighting. But this weekend is one of the best "pool weekends" we've seen all season.

Nip It In The Bud.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok. I was just double checking.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Passed OCLT. What ever it was is done. Nipped it right in the bud.

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice job !
    Jeff