Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is adding borates to my pool a good option for me?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is adding borates to my pool a good option for me?

My TA is currently at 60, do I need to increase it to the 70-80 range???
    I purchased a new Hayward Salt system for my pool beginning of the summer and have been noticing that my pH keeps jumping up into the 8's. I have around a 16-18k gallon pool and using the T-15 cell, I keep it around 60% and it produces plenty of CL.
    So far in the last 3 months I think I have went through 10 gallons of acid. My Cy Acid was at 50 which I just increased to around 75-80. I am thinking about adding the Boric acid to stabilize the pH better? Is this a good option for me?
    I have also been using my aerater at night to drop the temp of my pool, could this be another reason why my pH keeps jumping up?? I read in previous posts using aeration can increase pH, is this actually true, my pool store disagrees with me.

pH: 7.6
    Salt: 3500
    Cl: 4.0
    Ca: 80

Pebble sheen, Hayward 1hp pump, Pentair Triton sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Is adding borates to my pool a good option for me?

Welcome to TFP.

Borates may help a little, but since you're areating the water, that's certainly adding to the pH rising quickly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Welcome to the forum

Yep, any form of aeration will push up pH, ie SWG's, water features, folks splashing, returns breaking the surface, etc.

I think I would leave TA at 60 for now.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey, welcome to TFP! I would see what aeration does for you at first and go from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

Please list your Calcium Hardness (CH) level as well. Also, for future reference, we normally list Cyanuric Acid as CYA, not CA, to avoid confusion with calcium.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"