Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

pump leaking

Two weeks ago I had to change the motor on my whisperflo. I put a new seal in when I installed the motor and did not have any leaks, but in the time since then have developed a leak that appears to be coming from the motor.

Do I need to change the seal again, or is it likely that I can pull it apart, put some silicon on it and put it back together?

TIA
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump leaking

You may be able to take it apart and clean it, but it's more likely that you have to replace it. The most common mistake that people make when replacing a shaft seal is not keeping it very clean and straight when reassembling it. Any dirt or trash left on the sealing surfaces will soon scratch and ruin the seal. Sealant won't help if it's scratched.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

a most lucky and event occurred....it stopped leaking on its own. I went to replace the seal and it wasn't leaking. Went on vacation for a week, came back still no leak.

Not complaining...just curious if this happens often?
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

4. Back To Top    #4

It could have seated itself.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit