It's the wife who has the rash, not me
- 1250 gallon in-ground spa
- Previously chlorine, serviced by spa-guy.
- Converted to bromine, serviced by idiot-husband (me). Established sodium bromide level, shocking with Leisure Time Renew (MPS). Using test trips while I wait for my test kit to come in - levels are fine according to strips (inaccurate, I know).
- Spa is not kept heated. Heated only for occasional (once every few weeks or months) use.
- Spa is irregularly shaped/located, so I've only recently put on a bubble-wrap like cover to reduce evaporation and debris.
A few weeks ago, the wife dangled her legs in the spa, while using her hands/arms to pick up some leaves that had fallen in. Not long after that, she developed a rash (follicullitis, probably) that was terribly itchy, many tiny red spots.
Her dermatologist prescribed antibiotics and said it was probably pseudomonas from the spa (seems to jive with the only areas exposed to the spa recently, arms and legs.
While I'm not discounting that possibility, as the bacteria may have established itself while I was transitioning to bromine, I wonder if another possibility is a sensitivity to the MPS-based shock that I'm using? Perhaps I should switch to another oxidizer (dichlor?)...
I should point out that I've been fine.
I'm going to order some bacteria test strips to make sure, but has anyone else seen anything like this? I'd hate to have to drain/sanitize the spa without figuring out exactly what the issue was.