sodium hypochlorite to shock my pool

All,

So I have read through the pool school articles and ready to switch. I went to Leslies this morning after following there instructions to empty half the pool. the CYA reading was 150. After emptying half the pool and refilling, I added 1 gallon of bleach and went back to Leslies. The below are the results from there test:

FAC 0
TAC 0
CH 300
CYA 120
TA 80
pH 7
Pho 500
Temp 80

I am kind of lost on what to do next - The guy at Leslie told me add 2lbs of shock and then wait 2 weeks and see what happens to the CYA levels.

Any advise would be most welcome. I will be purchasing the Test kits - but obviously will take a few days to arrive. Any idea's?

Thanks
Onedah

I find it hard to believe you drained half and refilled and CYA is still 120. What was it before the water replacement? Pool store has a bad habit of getting the CYA test wrong. You want your CYA level to be 30-50 ppm. I would get your FC level up to at least 2-3 ppm ASAP.

When your test kit comes post a full set of results.

Leslie's can not test the CYA higher than 100ppm and they are not good at it. So certainly could have been up around 250 originally.

Bottom line, you need to test it yourself with one if the recommended test kits and then find out how much more water you should replace.

pwrstrk said:
I find it hard to believe you drained half and refilled and CYA is still 120. What was it before the water replacement? Pool store has a bad habit of getting the CYA test wrong. You want your CYA level to be 30-50 ppm. I would get your FC level up to at least 2-3 ppm ASAP.

When your test kit comes post a full set of results.

The CYA was 150 according to the pool store before the replacement. how do you suggest I get the FC up - pool calculate suggests adding 1 gallon of bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How are you testing your water now ? If the pool store is your only way let them test for FC only. Just keep the FC levels up until your kit comes and post your test results and we can help you get things fixed.

. but I typically go to the pool Store for there advice.
You need to make a choice. The advice on this forum more often than not conflicts with pool store advice. If you try to blend the two, you end up in the middle not knowing what to do.

Asking us to comment on pool store advice is counterproductive and really won't help you get your pool where it needs to be.

Time to get off that pool store merry-go round where your levels go up and down and you go round and round and the ride never stops. Eventually, you'll get sick enough that you'll jump off it.

Get your own test kit. If CYA was 150 and you drained half and now it's 120, what does that tell you? It tells me the test results were wrong, which is more common than not.

If the water isn't cloudy and green, you've got a huge jump start on these folks:
first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html
pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html
before-and-after-t36785.html
a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

They cleared things up. You can, too. You might notice they used sodium hypochlorite and their own test kit. Might be a pattern, here....:scratch:

[center:30p3g7vz]
file.php
[/center:30p3g7vz]

Went out this morning to take a reading with my basic test kit (waiting on the TF100). The pool store told me I had no Chlorine in the pool - however my test shows I have and its around 2 (FC). Water looks clear. however I did see some algae on the walls on one side of the pool - There is not a lot but I believe this was from last week where I did not totally scrub the algae off.

Should I try and remove all the green off the wall and keep adding Chlorine until the kit arrives (it feels like these little spots of algae are hard to get off)?

Thanks again for all the help. (have to say I was a little skeptical of how difficult it would be to do the testing using the TF100 kit, however watching the videos makes me feel a whole lot better)

Thanks
Onedah

With your likely still high CYA and visible algae, it would be a good plan to put in a gallon of Clorox each evening and brush the spots when you can. That should hold any further algae development and may help on the existing spots you have as well.

Once your kit gets in, please do a complete set of tests (it'll be time consuming on the first go-round) and then post them up.

While you're waiting, make sure you have a good grasp on the SLAM process and be ready to have plenty of bleach on hand.

onedah said:
Thanks Dave, just finished scrubbing and removing all the algae off the walls, will drop a gallon of bleach this evening. I presume kids are still safe to swim?
From what you have posted the kids should be fine. The kit you have will give you basic levels, FC = 1-5, which is fine for the high level of CYA you probably have. The pool calculator will show you how much adding a gallon of bleach will affect your FC so you will have an idea of what to expect as a cross check until your test kit arrives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.