Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I fix this?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I fix this?

We bought a used AGP and moved it to our house last month. Setup went well and the pool has been working out great. We re-used the liner since it was in good shape.

The problem I have is that after we filled the pool and have been using it for a few weeks, the liner has pulled away slightly below one corner of the skimmer hole and I now have water leaking between the liner and the pool wall. I'm not sure if it's possible to remove the skimmer frame and pull the liner back up, or if I should try to patch in another small piece of liner somehow. How can I fix this?

I tried to take a picture but of course, the leak is underwater, and I doubt my cell phone would survive the experience.
    18K gal 28ft round AGP, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5HP pump, 22" diameter round Sand filter 150lbs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I fix this?

This is why reusing a liner can be challenging.

Depending how much it has pulled down, you might be able to stretch it back up into place and re-clamp in the skimmer plate (I assume thescrew holes were torn?...you may need to add a silicone rtv to help hold the liner then). You would need to let the water level drop below the opening to allow the sun to warm some portion of the liner below the hole (you may need to drain quite a bit to do this, maybe even down to the cove).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

If Linen's fix won't work you can get a piece of liner (local pool stores usually have pieces left over) and make a large patch over the entire skimmer area and then put the skimmer back on and cut the hole in the patched area.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Good call Bama. that's what I would do too. Drain down below the skimmer...put a full patch over the entire thing...let glue dry well, then reinstall the skimmer, and cut out the hole once the skimmer was reattached. Maybe a new gasket for the skimmer too????
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I vote for Bama's idea too (before mine)
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

put a full patch over the entire thing
    Do you mean to take a scrap piece of liner and glue it in using the glue we usually use to patch holes? Don't use the material that comes in the patch kit, just use the glue and a piece of liner for the patch?
    18K gal 28ft round AGP, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5HP pump, 22" diameter round Sand filter 150lbs

7. Back To Top    #7

That's right.
    Just glue a piece of liner over the skimmer hole about 6" to a foot lap all the way around (except on top of course!).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit