Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seat Depth

1. Back To Top    #1

Seat Depth

We are in the process of having our pool installed. We are doing a 18x36 custom liner pool. We added a seat in the deep end, what is the normal depth of the seat from the water line? I sat on mine yesterday and it seems like it will hit me about at my shoulders when sitting on the seat. I was expecting it to be a little higher I guess. I was just curious what's normal. Thank you for any help.

Kim
    Installed in September, 2013 18x36 (28,000 gallons) lagoon shaped, vinyl pool, with steel walls. Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump, intellichlor salt generator, pentair cartridge filter CCP320

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seat Depth

I'm wondering about this too. We are doing at least two swimout/seats for the deep end and I can't decide. Right now I'm thinking I want my depth to be about 16" below waterline.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I've got swimouts, not sure on depth, probably 16" or so from seat to waterline.

If i could do it over again, i would have 2 different depths at the swimout, one smaller area that is the depth of a normal step. And then a larger are to sit on that is the depth you desire. It's not really safe for kids or old folks to use the swimout to enter the pool, and then getting out is a huge step out of the pool. I would label mine underwater seats, but not swimouts.

Of course for older kids and young adults and adults it's just fine.

I've seen the design i speak of in pictures here plenty of times, just not before i built my pool!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine are about 22" below the water line, he said this is what he normally does. I've never sat on one in a pool before so didn't know what to expect. Thanks!
    Installed in September, 2013 18x36 (28,000 gallons) lagoon shaped, vinyl pool, with steel walls. Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump, intellichlor salt generator, pentair cartridge filter CCP320

5. Back To Top    #5

Our pool is not complete but our PB recommended an 18" seat depth with a small corner step to split the difference on the way in and out.
    16K gal, IG gunite - pebble sheen aqua blue (filled 9/14/2013) , Hayward EcoStar pump, Hayward Tristar Waterfall pump, Hayward cartridge 425, Hayward Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Stenner Pump, and hayward tigershark qc.

6. Back To Top    #6

There is what I was talking about.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

I like it. I have thought 18 as well. We sat down and used a tape measure the other night to see where levels hit us like that. I am thinking 18 would be great and I love the extra step. Great idea! I do want mine different however. I want them cut into the bond beam, so the seat edge is flush with the pool wall...no protrusion into the pool. I really am glad you posted this because I really like the step thing. Didn't think of that. Awesome.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi, We have to make a decision in the next day or so and I love your deep end seat. Are you please able to tell me the width and length you went with?
    Many thanks
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by gmgm55 View Post
    Our pool is not complete but our PB recommended an 18" seat depth with a small corner step to split the difference on the way in and out.
    - - - Updated - - -

Hi, We have to make a decision in the next day or so and I love your deep end seat. Are you please able to tell me the width and length you went with?
    Many thanks
    Lara