"Other" uses for Trichlor Tabs now that i've switched?

Aug 12, 2013
Hammond, LA
I have a bucket full of 3" Super HTH trichlor tabs left over.
Also have some of those Arm & Hammer Clear Balance tabs. Not sure what I could use those for.

But I had a couple ideas for the chlorine tabs.

Place a tablet at the end of the discharge line on my home septic system.
If my CYA gets too low, actually use them in the pool for a limited time?

Any thoughts?

You'll need them eventually. You will lose some CYA with splashout, backwashing, or when the pool needs emptying after a big storm, and they're an easy way to replenish it and buy yourself a few days off the jugdumping at the same time. They're also great for vacations.

How about in a commode tank? Aren't they the same stuff as those bleach disks?
I have half a bucket too. Put 4-5 in my chlorinator for a week if my CYA goes below 40.

"Other" uses for Trichlor Tabs now that i've switched?

Do not put them into your home septic system. You have beneficial bacteria in that system that is needed to digest waste. You do not want to kill this bacteria!

Also, in a commode tank, it will make the plastic tank components very brittle and subject to very premature failure.

I have a "Neverscrub" gizmo in my tank(s) which uses expensive refills. I bought a quart of 1" tabs and use them. I was thinking breaking up the 3" tabs would also work. You fill a small plastic container and the bleach never hits the other components in the tank. Seems to keep hard water stains away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tcat said:
How about in a commode tank? Aren't they the same stuff as those bleach disks?
Trichlor is very acidic so will rust the components in the tank so do not put them there. As shown in this MSDS, the pucks from Clorox are not Trichlor and have high pH. This link from Clorox says that the tablets are dichloroethylmethyl hydantoin which is very similar to bromine tabs but using chlorine instead. Though these are acidic, they are not as acidic as Trichlor and the tablets also have sodium citrate and sodium carbonate to balance out the pH to make them alkaline, most likely to prevent metal corrosion since the pH would otherwise drop when the chlorine is used/consumed.

Re:

nedchavez said:
Do not put them into your home septic system. You have beneficial bacteria in that system that is needed to digest waste. You do not want to kill this bacteria!

Also, in a commode tank, it will make the plastic tank components very brittle and subject to very premature failure.

Right, I meant at the end of the field bed line where it discharges into the ditch.

Just save them until you can use them to top off CYA or for vacations. As long as they stay dry they will last for years. Just don't store them next to anything metal. They do off-gas and will cause rust over time.

beameup said:
I have a bucket full of 3" Super HTH trichlor tabs left over.
Also have some of those Arm & Hammer Clear Balance tabs. Not sure what I could use those for.

But I had a couple ideas for the chlorine tabs.

Place a tablet at the end of the discharge line on my home septic system.
If my CYA gets too low, actually use them in the pool for a limited time?

Any thoughts?

What I do is let my CYA drift down after the spring rains and then when I go on vacation in July I use the "pucks" to chlorinate and increase CYA during the week. Last two seasons CYA starts at 50, drifts to 40, and 3 pucks during the week vacation and back to 50 I go!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.