Pump Longer or Add DE

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
So, if you had ONE CHOICE - and you were trying to get the "floaties" that I see with my lights on at night, what would it be ?

Reason I ask - is that my water is PERFECT (thanks to BBB) but I see a ton of "stuff" in the water at night.

I know I could try both, but I was just curious what most though would be the "best" method. My gut tells my DE, but all I can find is JUMBO bags and I don't know anyone that has a DE filter.

Anyways...curious what you all think ?

I can tell you from experience that I have used a cellulose fiber additive on occasion to help get those small "floaties" that are sometimes apparent under the lights. Two of the trade names for cellulose fiber are Zeofiber and FiberClear. I have used this instead of DE because it is safer to handle and because, like you, all I have seen are the Jumbo bags of DE. With the cellulose fiber, you can get a much smaller bag that weighs much less than the DE bag. If you are like me and only plan to use it mainly during the height of the swim season when you are most likely to swim with the pool lights on, a bag of cellulose fiber will last you several seasons. The process of adding cellulose fiber to a sand filer is the same as it is for adding DE, which can be found here: Add DE to a Sand Filter.

Remember to keep a closer eye on your filter pressure gauge. You may need to backflush a bit more often when using the cellulose or DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.