Problematic first season with pool - time to go to BBB?

gatorbrit

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2013
Raleigh,NC
FC 1
CC 0
TA 110
Ph 7
CYA 90!!!

My first season owning a pool. I have a nature2. I thought all was well, although I've had mustard algae and cloudiness fro time to time. But now all seems ok - but CYA is at 90.

I know that high CYA is making my chlorine ineffective. I also guess that the trichlor pucks in the nature2 are driving it up.

So I am thinking of making a clean break of it all and going BBB. (I've read pool school and I understand pool chemistry ok).

So what would you recommend as my steps to fix the cya and get control of this situation.

Many thanks - this is a awesome resource which I wished I'd found before I built the pool!!!

Smykowski said:
Welcome to the forum!

1. Buy a good test kit if you haven't already.
2. Ditch the nature2.
3. Do a 50% drain/refill to get your CYA to a manageable level.
4. Adjust pH to 7.2-7.5
5. SLAM it.

Thanks for the quick response!!!

1. I have a Taylor K1005. But I guess I should get the better one. - I'll do that.
2. To ditch it - just remove the cartridge - but leave the unit there?
3. Any danger with draining? Its a vinyl pool - we have heavy clay soil and the water table is fairly low - when the pool was dug the weater only ever filled about 6 inches in the bottom.
4. Will do.
5. OK.

Other question - I am guessing I need to ditch the trichlor pucks also and go bleach.
Also - after SLAMing - then I just maintain using BBB and I am good to go?

Is it really that easy?

many thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Pretty much what Smykowski just posted...So if you were looking for consistency in recommendations, I think you have it!

gatorbrit said:
I know that high CYA is making my chlorine ineffective. I also guess that the trichlor pucks in the nature2 are driving it up.
Yep...You've got that right! Time to ditch the pucks/nature2

gatorbrit said:
So I am thinking of making a clean break of it all and going BBB. (I've read pool school and I understand pool chemistry ok).
If you have read Pool School, you know the importance of having a good test kit. If you don't already have one, here is a comparison of the Recommended Test Kits.

gatorbrit said:
So what would you recommend as my steps to fix the cya and get control of this situation.
You are looking at a 50% water replacement (partial drain & refill). This is the only way to lower CYA.

After doing the 50% drain & refill, you will need to run a full series of tests. In all likelihood, you will need to SLAM your pool.

You at least need to add an FAS-DPD test to your kit, you can order it from the Test Kits link in my signature. It allows you to accurately measure up to 50 ppm FC with an accuracy down to 0.2 ppm.

Once everything is in range and you finish SLAMing it really is that easy. You have a chlorine pool, you are just adjusting how you maintain it.

Also, tear out the Nature2 unit (or at least the mineral cartridge), it introduces copper in to your water. Copper helps kill algae but causes staining and green hair. Proper chlorine levels make it entirely unnecessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
The ground water level can and does change depending on how much rain you have been getting. Always keep a least a foot of depth in the shallow end to keep the liner from floating/shifting.

The pool is 3' to 7' so the average depth is about 5'. So I'll draw it down about 2' and the refill. That should be close to 50% of the water. I can always drain a bit more later on if I am still a bit high.

Thanks - and I became a supporter - this help alone was worth the donation!

Update:
After SLAM and draining :

Cya- 25-30. Bit low?
Ph 7.5
FC 4.25
CC 0
Ta 90
Ch 150

I think all is well, although my CYA might be a bit low. But after dealing with draining I will give it a day or two before I adjust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.